VOGONS

First post, by wannaplaymoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I have a question for ye mighty DOSBox gurus. I have scoured the forums to no avail; I have sent passenger pigeons forth in search of the answer and none have returned. I am now at your mercy.

I think I am mounting my drives properly -- I have mounted my CD-ROM as a CD-ROM, my hard drive as a hard drive. I have installed MOO via DOSBox flawlessly. But then when I type ORION (to start the game), DOSBox quits without so much as a how-do-you-do.

One thing... I have been mounting the CD drive as the name of the actual MOO disc itself (/Volumes/MPSORION_CD or whatever). I don't know if that's a bad thing. It seems a little odd. But everything else seems to work.

I have also tried copying the contents of the CD to my hard drive and then mounting that portion of the hard drive as a CD-ROM. Same deal.

Any tips?

Reply 1 of 3, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Please show us the commands you use.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 3, by wannaplaymoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

mount c /users/[name of user]/[name of directory]

mount d /Volumes/[name of MOO disc] -t cdrom

I've tried the various other flags people normally recommend when mounting the cdrom, and they result in "can't find cdrom"-type errors when I try to run the game, as does mounting the cdrom without designating it as "-t cdrom."

Reply 3 of 3, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Hmm - looks allright to me. My only suggestion would be to try to add a -label MPSORION_CD to the CD-ROM mount command, but I really do not imagine how that should fix your real problem of DOSBox dying on you.

Sanity check: When you say "DOSBox quits without so much as a how-do-you-do." what do you mean by that? DOSBox dies and its windows disappears? Sounds like an internal DOSBox bug - or a problem with the SDL library that DOSBox uses for so many things. You could try to download older versions of DOSBox (0.60-0.62) and see if they work better/differently. Or you could try replacing the SDL in 0.63 with a different one...

Which (DOSBox) CPU core do you use (core=....)?

Tried changing to a different type of render (render=....) and output type (output=....) ???

Tried to install/configure without sound?

Without XMS?

Does MOO use the DOS4GW extender? Try to replace it with DOS32A (use the search function here at the forums).

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions