VOGONS

First post, by mcdiva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've recently had a craving to play my copy of daggerfall, given to me by my beloved sibling, I also use dosbox for this, however, after I create a character, I get the intro (spell book, telling me about doom and stuff) then the intro with the warrior guy and his bald mage friend (friend of the kings, real people video) after that I get a black screen and thats it, I messed around with the settings of both z.cfg (I did a huge install, and set arena2 as the cdrom drive in dosbox, the arena2 directory also has all the required files in it, and is set as the cdrom drive in the cfg file, thus it is recognized as d:\ (cdrom drive) in dosbox, not arena2, same goes for the actual game, c:\dagger it gets merely registered as c:\) perhaps that is the problem? I am most certainly a layman at best when it comes to these problems, but I appreciate any help anyone can provide! :cool:

Reply 4 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which version of DosBox are you using?
What core?
What output mode?

Does the console/debugger output windows say anything?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A black screen....When it switches from the character setup/menu system there's a brief black screen but it's almost not even noticeable. Monitor your task manager and see if your using too much processor time.

I would say switch to dyanmic but at least under my build Daggerfall is unstable with DOS4GW/DOS32A.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 11, by mcdiva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've also tried running it outside of dosbox, using the nocd trick with the z.cfg file. What happened is the same thing, the game works until I get finished the character creation, I get to see the videos and then a black screen forever...well for 3 minutes anyway, that's how long I waited. So it's not a dosbox issue, it's an issue with my copy, I dearly hope it's not damaged!