VOGONS

First post, by rev79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all, I want to give a shout out to the developers of DOSBox. I've been trying to get these games going for ages now, trying every tweak and twitch known to be used- eventually corrupting my hard drive awhile back in the process. Then, I discovered your program, which is flat out amazing. There's no looking back now, I won't be using any other method. Thank you! 😁

Now to a few questions: I searched around the forum and couldn't find anything, so here it is: I have the Roberta Williams Anthology and have managed to get KQ6 going flawlessly. KQ5 looks great too and the music as well, but the speech isn't there. the faces pop up, and the mouths move, but no voice.
In addition, I also have the Police Quest Collection, and am having a bit of trouble with PQ4. Right now, its running a bit slow(even after adjusting the frame rate and cycles), no speech for this one either(it just pops and hisses a bit when its supposed to be speaking)...and the times I tried these two games I had to run them directly from the CD w/out installation because I couldn't find the Batch file. Basically, how do I get these games installed like I did KQ6? Running the install produces the screen containing options about which games to install in the series, but no matter what letter I press, it always says installing KQ1..then freezes up at that point.
Any help is appreciated. Again, thanks for the fabulous program.

Reply 1 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My thoughts on your problems.

First, I would recommend to post two separate threads for each of the games. That would make our job easier.

Second, for the voice lacking problem under KQ5. I know there are certain patches (SB related) for upgrading SB voice support. Don't know if it's KQ5 case though or they are just for newer Sierra releases.

Third. For PQ4, I guess it's trying to play digitised samples thru the internal speaker. Am I right?

Reply 2 of 4, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't run them from the cd. Many sierra games *hate* having read-only attributes. If you can't run the install.bat (no idea why it wouldn't work) try copying all the games files to a directory on your harddrive. Then make sure to check the file's properties to remove [x]-Read only. Then, you should try to run the install to set the sound options to Soundblaster so you can hear music and sound efftecs / speech. Each game should have its own install in each of their own directories to allow you to set them up.

EDIT: One more thing, for the cd based ones like PQ4 you may not be able to copy all files to the HD unless you change some settings in the resource.cfg . Any lines that say "= D:\" or the letter of your cd drive need to be changed to the folder of the game instead eg: "= C:\sierra\pq4cd"

Did you try running the install.bat or exe from within native windows? Just a thought. I know many of the collection version have wierd installs but the Police quest one worked just fine under xp. Even after being installed you need to make sure you run each install.exe to change the individual sound settings.

Reply 3 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Mod Edit: I have split the PQ4 problem into a separate thread titled "Police Quest 4 install troubles" in the DOSBox Games/Apps forum.

rev79 - if you edit your original post, you can change the subject to something appropriate for your KQ problem.

Reply 4 of 4, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check the RESOURCE.CFG file in the installed directory and look for the audio= line and make sure that it points to the AUDIO001.002 file. If this file is on your CD, be sure that you have mounted your CD drive in DOSBox before you try to run the game. Also, I do not have the RWA collection, but, it is much the same as the 2nd KQ collection only with the first part of Phantasmagoria added on. The first disc only has the install for KQ5, the audio is on the 2nd disc.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers