VOGONS

First post, by Garret

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok I searched the forums but couldnt find anything related to this.

SQ6 wont install for dos even when I mount the CDROM. Well...ok i'm using Daemon tools virtual CDROM drive. it SHOULD work the same. Either way, I tried using the actual CD to install and it wont install. It says "Error creating config file" and doesnt install. I dont want to play this in windows cause it sux. im using 0.63 version of Dos Box. im aware that the installer for this game has a history of not working in Dos Box but people have gotten around it. how i wonder?

any of you experts able to help me out?

Reply 1 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you mounting something as your virtual C: drive that the installer can write to? It's not trying to write to the CD is it?

It sounds like it's trying to write a configuration file somewhere, but can't.

Reply 3 of 5, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Garret - where (which path, which directory) do you want to install the game?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 5, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you try running the install.exe in windows' command prompt? If it installs in windows you can then play it in dosbox (just remember to run the dos install not the setup.exe for windows)

Reply 5 of 5, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quite a few of the Sierra (and a few other companies) games will try to install onto the cd if it isn't mounted in dosbox as a cdrom. (actually a bit of a nice feature as you can just copy the files from the cd onto the hard drive and usually run it quite easily then)

You should probably make sure to type something along the lines of:

mount [drive letter to mount to] [where drive actually is mounted] -t cdrom

(Probably wouldn't hurt to look through the README for some other options if need be)

So for example if your cd drive is G: and you want to mount it as d:-

mount d g:\ -t cdrom

(you may have to use other options as well in Windows. I don't use it so I wouldn't know)