VOGONS

First post, by jim11232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to install Under A Killing Moon with DOSBox. First I installed the game onto my hard drive in the folder "Oldgames". Then I did the setup as follows: mount C C:\oldgames (enter), C: (enter), cd moon (enter) and then the prompt responded with "unable to change to: moon". So I was unable to proceed to the next step which would have been: C:\MOON>moon.exe. What am I doiing wrong and what else needs to be done to install Under A Killing Moon with DOSBox? 😕

Jim11232

Reply 2 of 10, by jim11232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First, I uninstalled Under A Killing Moon. Then I created a new directory called MOON under OLDGAMES. Then I reinstalled the game into OLDGAMES\MOON. Then I opened DOSBox and entered "mount C C:\oldgames". Then I entered "C:". Then I entered "cd moon" and got the MOON prompt. Then I did the DIR command and found two "exe" files -- MOON and TEX3. I entered both "MOON.exe" and "TEX3.exe" in turn and the game still didn't launch. What is the problem? 😕 😕

Reply 4 of 10, by jim11232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Avatar_58: I tried to follow your advice exactly and still got nowhere. Here's what happened:

At the first "Z:\>" prompt I entered "mount C C:\oldgames" as before and it responded with "Drive C mounted on local directory C:\oldgames\".

At the next "Z:\>" prompt I tried to enter "C:\" but it wouldn't accept the "\" after the "C:". So I then entered "C:" instead and it responded with the new "C:>" prompt.

At the "C:\>" prompt I tried to enter "cd\oldgames\moon" but it still wouldn't accept the "\" after the "cd". So then I tried "cd oldgames\moon" without the "\" but it wouldn't accept that either. So then I entered "cd moon" and it accepted that and responded with the "C:\MOON>" prompt.

Then at the "C:\MOON>" prompt, I entered "moon" without the ".exe" and it gave me the same result as before and still wouldn't launch the game.

Under A Killing Moon is the first game I've tried to launch using DOSBox and I'm still at a loss on how to get it accomplished. Help! 😕 😕 😕

Reply 6 of 10, by El nostalgico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try this.

c: [enter]
cd oldgames [enter]
cd moon [enter]
moon [enter]

And do you have the right configuration of DosBOX for this game?
Try to read somethink about game configurations in the guide.

What message DosBOX got you exactly?

Reply 7 of 10, by jim11232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Qbix: I checked dir.bat at the "moon" prompt and got three batch files: helpme.bat, moongrav.bat and readme.bat. Moongrav.bat doesn't work and there does not appear to be any moon.bat.

El Nostalgico: When I enter the moon command at the "moon" prompt I get a 16 line response starting with "DOS/4GW Professional Protected Mode Run-Time Version 1.95".

As regards the config.file, I went to Steve Metzler's FAQ on the dosbox.config file and edited it in notepad as follows:
(1) changed "fullscreen" from "false" to "true".
(2) changed "cycles" from "3000" to "6000" and
(3) changed the autoexec section after "# lines in this section will be run at startup" to read
mount E E:\ -t cdrom (E is my cdrom drive)
mount C C:\
C:

All this did was give me a much larger screen and set up the earlier "mount" prompts when I went back to DOSBox. After changing the directory to oldgames and then to moon, I tried to enter the moon.exe (without the .exe) command and I still got the same 16-line response with no launch. I've also tried the Tex3 command and get the same same type of response. I then changed the dosbox.config file back to its original status and that's where I stand now still trying to figure out how to launch my game. I'm getting very frustrated with this whole DOSBox situation.

Reply 9 of 10, by jim11232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Zanthia84: Thanx a big bunch. I found tex197.exe on the cd-rom as you suggested and copied it to my game directory on the hard drive. For some reason it didn't load on to my hard drive when I installed the game. It looks like this is the answer. The game started up after a quite a few adjustments. Is there anyway to print out the various "help" categories from the startup? I couldn't find them anywhere else and there was no manual supplied with the game. Also, do you know if you have to go through DOSBox each time you start up the game? 😁

Reply 10 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can use command line switches for the dosbox executable or you can use frontends such as: D-Fend http://members.home.nl/mabus/dfend.htm

Can't tell you much about D-Fend or other frontends for DosBox since I don't use 'em but it might make things easier for ya if navigating the command prompt is too difficult.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline