VOGONS

First post, by Guyper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First, it was Return of the Phantom and now, it's Dragonsphere. They're both CD-ROM versions, the music and sound play fine but when the characters speak, you only hear noisy sound.

My sound card is Creative SB Live! Player 1024

Please help, thank you

Last edited by Guyper on 2005-03-05, 07:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 12, by Telemaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As I posted recently: Dragonsphere's speech distortion is present even in VDMSound. What about finding some official patch from 90s? Maybe Microprose released some "sound card compatibility fix".

Reply 7 of 12, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Editted my own post for posting the file directly here...

To clarify things up, this is what the readme says...

Some players of Return of the Phantom who have their EMS pages set to unusual values have been having problems where the speech in the game seems to repeat or echo. The attached file will correct the problem. Just copy it into your Phantom directory. This file is for Return of the Phantom ONLY.

Attachments

• Filename
    phandig.zip
    File size
    2.54 KiB
    Downloads
    190 downloads
    File comment
    Return of the Phantom Digital Fix
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by eL_PuSHeR on 2005-03-08, 09:44. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 8 of 12, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The VDMSound webpage seems to be down, so here is the file. Let us know if speech in the game worked fine with it. I think my results were not good when I tested it some time ago and "digital fix" also did not help much.

Attachments

• Filename
    vdms_110.zip
    File size
    59.42 KiB
    Downloads
    228 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 12, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Guyper wrote:

Do I place the digital fix in Phantom or Resource directory?

The patch is just two files (audio engine?). You need to find these and REPLACE THEM. Maybe this patch will work for other Microprose games using the same audio engine. No hurt in trying.

Reply 11 of 12, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eL_PuSHeR wrote:
Guyper wrote:

Do I place the digital fix in Phantom or Resource directory?

The patch is just two files (audio engine?). You need to find these and REPLACE THEM. Maybe this patch will work for other Microprose games using the same audio engine. No hurt in trying.

I tried it with Dragonsphere - the file there DOES exist and it seems the same size and all so I replaced it but, reading the readme, it never meant to fixed garbled speech which is Dragon Sphere's problem. So the garbled speech is still there 🙁

Reply 12 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Guyper wrote:

Thank for the vdms, so how do I launch the games with it?

You are too lazy to read the ReadMe that comes with the Zip-file, right? Let me do it for you, then....

5.1 General usage

In the following examples it is assumed that both VDMS.EXE and VDMSound.dll reside in C:\UTIL\VDMS (although it is not necessary for them to).

You start up VDMSound from a DOS box by invoking the DOS loader:

C:\UTIL\VDMS>vdms

The loader finds and installs the VMDSound.dll virtual DOS driver (VDD). Since no switches were specified, the default settings are used.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions