VOGONS

First post, by nomarch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been playing Larry7 with DB 0.63 and it works reasonably well but tends to crash a LOT particularly when im about to save a game...

anyway i've tried replacing DOS4GW with DOS32A both ways (re-binding and running from the CL prog)

i've tried the patch (1.2) unfortunately that stops the game working altogether!! 🙁

does anybody have any suggestions on how to make it more stable? dosbox.confs, using an earlier version of DB etc. etc.

btw its the non CD version. or at least it runs fine without it.

System Spec:

Athlon XP2200+
512Mb DDR
GeForce2 OnBoard AGp
nForce Audio
WinXP Pro

Reply 1 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I am not sure about this, but I think LSL7 is compatible with ScummVM. You could try it...

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 11, by nomarch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just had a look at the compatibility list and its not listed. but i'll try it anyway, its only a 1.4mb download.

does anyone who has the game and got it fairly stable feel like posting their config file?

see attached file for my current config.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosboxcfg.txt
    File size
    5.25 KiB
    Downloads
    125 downloads
    File comment
    Current Dosbox 0.63 Config File
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 11, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The cd version (1.01) I have runs in dos, windows 3.1, and 95.

I haven't really played it in dosbox before now. I tried just a few minutes of playing just now and it didn't crash except for when I would quit. No idea about over a more extended time. Runs a bit slow though. Only suggestion I have is trying with the core changed from dynamic to normal.

I run Redhat 9.

Reply 6 of 11, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MiniMax wrote:

I am not sure about this, but I think LSL7 is compatible with ScummVM. You could try it...

Err...scummvm is for Lucasarts games based on the SCUMM engine. Larry 7 is a sierra game based on an SCI engine. Unless your a wizard I doubt that will work. 😖

I have the original CD and it has dos and windows versions. It seems to run ok depsite the occasional dialogue skipping. Theres nothing fancy my config to help you though....running dynamic core with 34000 cycles.

Reply 7 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Thanks avatar_58.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 8 of 11, by nomarch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My Version is 1.01 and im pretty sure its the DOS rip. I tried to whack the core up but anything over 20000 seems to make the game crash more often 🙁

after i used the 1.2 patch I got two windows .exe files but when i run them in 98 it just gives me an error message about an audio script error and won't run at all in XP.

the only other thing that seems to make a difference is after saving the game (anywhere but cabin 0) is to quit out and restore. its a bit of a pain in the bum and the sound still buggers off intermittently but at least the game is playable.

Reply 10 of 11, by nomarch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i wouldn't be that surprised! the friend i got it off found it on some dodgy russian ftp apparently...

anyway not much chance of getting another version unless i hit ebay which i cant afford 🙁 at the moment.

thank you to everybody who has offered their help!

Reply 11 of 11, by nomarch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently acquired the NIMROD rip of Larry7, as I was having so much trouble with my previous verion, and it suffers from pretty much the same problems as the old one. 🙁

the most annoying thing is i can complete the game and get the end sequence but when i used the walkthrough to acquire all 1000 points, easter eggs etc. etc. it crashes when i knock on the captains door every time whatever i do config wise.

also the teleport function doesn't work in either of the versions I have so i can't use that workaround.

if someone out there has a ripped version that works ok could they tell me which one it is? ie the group that put it out etc.

many thanks!

EDIT: before anybody (mods) gets the wrong idea i am not asking for someone to send me a copy!!!!!!