VOGONS

First post, by vulture

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'm having problems running UFO Enemy Unknown. I'm using the latest DOSBOX (0.63) and D-Fend releases and running WinXP.
First of all, since UFO starts a host of .exe files out of the batch files meant to run it, I don't know which executable to use. Tried geoscape.exe and tactical.exe but neither one will work. The DOSBOX window opens but closes again at once. Disabled sound already but this didn't help. Tried loadfix.

Found this in another thread:
Ufo crashes if: dos4gw=1.95 and sound device is GUS.
But I'm using version 1.97 of dos4gw and no GUS.

I do have the Windows version from the Ultimate Strategy Archives but this runs too fast in certain places like when you rotate the world view. Therefore I would prefer to run the dos version with DOSBOX.

Reply 3 of 4, by mad.and.insane

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

UFO works fine for me, here are the (important) D-Fend approved settings:

-game "Exe": UFO.BAT (don't mind that it's no real exe, it works anyway)
-Environment: 16MB RAM, only XMS, 15000 Cycles, Frameskip 3, dynamic core
-Mounting: D:\ (replace this by the drive where your UFO is installed), D:\GAMES\UFO\CD as CD-Rom (i've copied the cds content there; you may skip this step if you've got the disk version)
-Sound: Sample Rate 11k, SBPro2, Irq 7, Dma 1, Opl2, no Gus, no Midi, no Speaker, no Disney

m'n'i

if you can read this you are not blind! (Congratulations)

Reply 4 of 4, by vulture

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot mad.and.insane, that worked! I'm a bit confused now though. After entering your settings I played around a bit with them to find out what made the game crash, but now I couldn't make it crash again. Oh well, whatever!