VOGONS

First post, by slavikt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to play Settlers with DOSbox 0.63 on WinXP SP1.
When I'm trying to scroll the map by pressing right mouse button and dragging, it works not good. It refreshes the screen about one time in second.
But CPU load is only about 40-50% all the time.

What can I do with it?

Reply 1 of 3, by nomarch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the answer i suspect is buried in your question! crank up the cycles in the dosbox config and/or increase the frameskip in the dosbox config.

settlers 2 is known to run slowly so it might just be something you'll have to get used to.

Reply 2 of 3, by slavikt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I has increased cycles up to 12000, it helps a little. Just a very little. On the Athlon XP 2600+.
But people here are talking Settlers works fine. I don't think that long freezes during map scrolling are fine.

Reply 3 of 3, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
slavikt wrote:

When I has increased cycles up to 12000, it helps a little. Just a very little. On the Athlon XP 2600+.
But people here are talking Settlers works fine. I don't think that long freezes during map scrolling are fine.

Is this the original Settlers or Settlers 2? If it's the original, you can try moving to VGA mode if it's in VESA. It worked fine for me even in VESA though and your CPU is 200 faster than mine.