VOGONS

First post, by GreatBarrier86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've already looked on the website and I couldnt find an answer to this problem. I am playing Judgement Rites and i decided to rip the CD to my hard drive in the form of an ISO because it was taking too long to access the cd. Whenever i play from the hard drive, the sound plays at a normal speed but it takes a sec to load almost after every word. It's extremely choppy. But once it is in the main memory, it works normally. I was just wondering if anyone had experienced this problem before and if anyone knows how to solve it.

Strangely enough, i also ripped 25th anniversary to my hd and that one works perfectly fine, as does A Final Unity...

Thanks
JS

Reply 1 of 4, by Telemaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Judgment rites seem to run fine for me. I play it from CD image too, however not mounted via image mount feature of DOSBox, but via Alcohol 120% virtual drive. No choppy sound. Dont know what to recommend you. Did you play with CPU cycles? Isn't your CPU overloaded? Did you set up correct soundcard settings (IRQ, DMA) of emulated soundblaster in Judgment rites sound setup?

Reply 2 of 4, by GreatBarrier86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If the CPU Cycles are higher than necessary, can the peformance take a hit? I am thinking that might be the case. I am running an IBM X40. It's a 1.2Ghz. It's new but it's a thin and light so it's kinda slow. I am running 1gb of ram. I'll try alcohol and see what happens...

Thanks

Reply 3 of 4, by Telemaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

RAM doesn't matter. CPU cycles does. CPU is the most important part of emulation.

Use you taskmanager (CTRL ALT DEL shorcut in windows) to monitor CPU load. It must not reach 100%. Then start star trek and try to play with cpu cycles via CTRL F11 and CTRL F12 shortcuts. The title of dosbox window inform you about current amount cpu cycles. For more hardware demanding games its better to use as much cpu cycles as you can, that is the amount which doesn't cause full load of you CPU.

So use those shortcuts to reach let's say 90%. New scene or another change during game progress can increase CPU demands so its wise to leave you taskmanager enabled and check it from time to time.

Reply 4 of 4, by Tdidddy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You know I'm trying to get this game to work too... And to be honest it's driving me crazy. I'm using a cd version of the game that i bought. It's like 6 years old and I just picked it up recently from a very deep shelf. I CAN'T GET IT TO WORK! I did the whole C C:\dosboxstuff\mygame and D D:\ whatever deal. It still didn't work! I managed to mount the D drive and install it. And at first it was fine. But then half way through the installation the setup turns into a rainbow of colors. I manage to get through the setup like that but then it just freezes! Dosbox freezes too, so i'm forced to restart it remount c drive and try to start the game from there. But when I goto dosboxstuff\mygame and type dir
I only have 3 commands 2 dots 3 dots and mygame so
mygame

I type my game and it doesn't work it's not a valid command. I don't have the manual so I don't know the execute command. But if there was an execute command wouldn't it show up in the dir? I don't have the luxury of being computer savy... I don't understand most of what you guys are talking about... I don't know understand how to lower or raise cpu cycles or make my cd drive accept lower level CD's... Your best guide for dummies got me to this point and now I'm lost again and very desparate to get this working... So please any help you could give me would be extremely appreciated... But remember be very specific, chances are I don't know how to do any of the shit you're going to tell me to do. PLEASE HELP!

1024 ram pentium 4 2mhz processor, 9800 ati video card I don't know what mother board I have