VOGONS

Kareteka

Topic actions

First post, by Kupotek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I looked up the game on your site after downloading DOSBOX to share some games I coded as a kid, but there's no download available?

My Home on the Web

Reply 1 of 1, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What exactly are you referring to? Did you expect to find downloadable games on the dosbox site? You surely know that downloading non-free software is illegal, regardless of how old it is? If not so, let me tell you:

Downloading non-free software is illegal. There's no such thing as "abandonware". Many companies simply don't care, or they silently tolerate it (which is quite nice of them), that's why the abandonware scene continues to exist. But in the strict sense of the law, all abandonware sites are illegal. There's also no excuse like "I want to see if it's worth buying". The law is simple and clear, like it or not (I don't, either).

As a sidenote, there doesn't exist any work, software, music or what else, that has it's copyright expired. We're talking about 70 (seventy) years after the demise of the creator!

(That being said, there are rare exceptions: Old music that was written before copyright was "invented", the funny U.S. copyright laws of the 60s/70s, probably other regional differences. But these are just rare exceptions.)

Oh, if you didn't guess it by now: The DosBox site, the authors and contributors, do not endorse nor assist in illegal activities. No game downloads here.