VOGONS

First post, by Steve Adler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have searched through various forums in DOSBox and can't find an answer I can understand. (I'm not a computer whiz like most of you who use this forum.)

I am trying to run a DOS program that requires 1MB of RAM consisting of 640KB of conventional memory and 384 KB of extended memory. The program is Lotus 123 version 3.1+.

My computer runs on xp home and has a an AMD Athlon 4 1.1 processor. It has 528MG of RAM and a 40 gig hard drive.

When I try to load the program with DOSBox, I see the program's logo, but then the screen goes to a c prompt with the message "vm error [38] internal error.

When I try to load the program from the command line in XP Home, the program loads, but the text on the screen is very distorted.

I had been able to load the program from the command line in XP Pro on a different computer, and it also worked in Windows 98 from a DOS prompt.

If things have been posted about how to change the configuration of DOSBox, I either didn't understand them or they did not seem pertinent.

Any help for an old guy would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Steve Adler

Reply 1 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well I recently fixed a lotus program but that was in the 2.x serie.

if you want extended memory then you must disable both xms and ems in dosbox.

Good luck.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

we have a nice configfile called dosbox.conf
there you will find

[dos]
xms=true
ems=true

change those true things to false.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 7, by lwc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Strange topic title you picked up...

Anyway, don't forget that you'll need to have that custom DOSBox.conf in the folder in which you launch DOSBox (e.g. if you prepared a special shortcut for Lotus that starts in Lotus' folder).

That is, unless you've defined DOSBox in your OS' path, of course.

Reply 7 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lwc wrote:

Strange topic title you picked up...

Right. Your wish is my command. Moving to appropiate section too.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)