VOGONS

First post, by n0x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone! First off, I love the project. It's great that I can play games I used to know as a little kid. I have already successfully run Wolfenstein 3D but I have just now run into a problem.

It regards installing games based off of CDs. Warcraft and MechWarrior 2 specifically. I've searched long and far but I have not found any answers.

Warcraft 2:

When I run setup.exe of the cd it goes into what appears to be the install screen (a bluish with a knights face and an orc but nothing else). However after pausing for a moment the DOSBox text appears suddenly as a couple sizes larger suggesting some type of crash.

MechWarrior 2:

Here I am assuming I'm just not mounting it correctly. At one point I was able to enter the install process but it came out with an error saying it needed to run off the cd. Also I keep having the reoccuring 'Error Code 9005' and '9009' telling me I need to specify a proper temporary folder.

Could someone please help me out here? I am almost certain that I'm just going about it all wrong. I'm not sure I'm mounting it correctly with -t cdrom as it has no obvious affect. Does anyone have a simple procedure in how to install CD games? A tall order, but I would greatly appreciate it.

FYI I'm running of Windows XP.

Reply 2 of 9, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Use VDMSound 2.1.0beta for Warcraft 2, it runs perfectly. During installation of VDMSound make sure that sapucdex will be installed too.then restart your computer.
First run sound setup program with VDMSound, then the game (right-click on a file or a shortcut and click 'Run with VDMSound').
I changed the following settings in properties of VDMSound shortcut to this game:
- 'Enable low-level CD-ROM support' checked
- in Advanced VDMSound Properties/DOS Environment tab type: sapucdex.exe

Reply 4 of 9, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you have a desktop shortcut to war2 created by VDMSound then right-click on it, click Properties, in VDMSound tab you'll find this option, check it. Then click Advanced, go to DOS Environment tab, type sapucdex.exe in Autoexec.bat section (this will enable AudioCD music, which is much better then Midi).
If you forgot to create this shortcut - open Warcraft 2 folder, right-click on war2.vlp file, click Properties, the rest is the same.

Reply 6 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Right-click on a Dos Exutable, in the menu there will be a "Run with VDMS" option which will create the .vlp shortcut.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 9, by X_Tra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
n0x wrote:

Warcraft 2:

When I run setup.exe of the cd it goes into what appears to be the install screen (a bluish with a knights face and an orc but nothing else). However after pausing for a moment the DOSBox text appears suddenly as a couple sizes larger suggesting some type of crash.

Well, I had the same problem with Warcraft 2 in DOSBox 0.63. This crash happens, because setup.exe expects, that there is C:\ drive in your DOS environment. If it exists (i.e. C:\ was mounted before running setup.exe), setup.exe works fine in DOSBox 😉

This message is supported by X_Tra Systems