VOGONS

Ultima Help

Topic actions

First post, by Alweiser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently discovered this forum and this apparent godsend called "dosbox" that I hope helps me revisit a lot of the cool games I still have from the past. I just discovered this and am at work, but will be getting Dosbox as soon as I get home.

I've been trying to install Ultima's 7/7pt2/8 for some time on my new computer using Windows XP. I'm not getting very far at all... I put the disk in and both in regular DOS and in Windows when I attempt to install, it says Drive D is not ready. Drive D is my CD-ROM drive... I don't know why it is trying to check that and can't figure out how to correct it. 😢

I'm sorry for my ignorance, I'm not that great with computers but sure would love to play some of my old games again! Any responses or help would be greatly appreciated!!

Reply 1 of 3, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The first thing YOU ARE COMPELLED TO DO is to read DOSBox readme file. In a nutshell: you need to mount as many drives as you need.

E.g.

mount c c:\ (for your hard-disk)
mount d d:\ -t cdrom (for an installation cd)

Another good idea is to SEARCH the forum. Bye.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 3, by Alweiser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did search the forum and I wasn't able to find an answer for this specific problem in 80+ pages of posts.... I did however find a response on another forum to this exact problem.

All I had to do was PUT A CD IN! Doh! That simple. Now Ultima is installed on my machine, which was the first step that I was stumped on.

Thanks for your reply though! 😁

Reply 3 of 3, by Alweiser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't think I was clear enough in my original post. I have the original game with the 6 3.5" floppy disks. I was trying to install the game using the Disk 1 Install program. When I did that, it told me "error reading Drive D" (the CD-Rom). Finding this forum was a godsend because I had pretty much given up in the past 9 months since getting this new computer on getting any of my old Ultima games to run!

This forum led me to the Exult forum which is where I found the answer to this problem.