VOGONS

First post, by Oberth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there

After downloading the unofficial 0.63 beta (I know its not the official build) and much tinkering with the config and such I finally managed to get Syndicate Wars to run near on full speed but the bad news is that it was with CPU Cycles set to 75000 to 80000 using the dynamic core and DOS32a on a Athlon 64 3500+ overclocked a tad. But there are some minor probs the cars are not drawn correctly and as yet the dynamic core is not the most stable but its getting there. With luck as the dynamic core gets optimised these requirement may lower but its all good as they say.

Reply 1 of 7, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What settings do you use? Especially sound settings and output method interest me, since I can't even get near 80.000 cycles on my 3700+.

Reply 2 of 7, by Oberth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I shall attach my config that I use take a look It's complete overkill for almost every other game, The standard DOS4GW.EXE will need to be replaced with the DOS32A so check out about that otherwise the game just runs even slower if at all. Also as I mentioned im not using the official build so It may just crash and burn if your using the official release.

Dont use this for your main config stick in the games directory or name it different otherwise you other games will be way to fast 😁

Good luck and could you post your results including any graphical errors which you should see on the second mission when the cars drive around.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.zip
    File size
    2.7 KiB
    Downloads
    158 downloads
    File comment
    My Config
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 7, by Mephisto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

80000 cycles 😳 😳 😳

3500+ MHZ 😳 😳 😳

(i know that this not really is a post, but when i read it, ist just SHOCKED ME !!!!!!!!)

Reply 4 of 7, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've just checked with a random game. I already knew that sound settings have an effect, but I didn't realize it would be _that_ much. Even when wasting CPU in many different ways, using heavy scaling options and frameskip of just 1, simply halving the audio data rates from 48000 to 24000 more than doubled my cycle capacity. That way, I get past 80.000 cycles easily.

Reply 5 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

is this still with the latest cvs as well ?
as I tried to optimize various small parts of dosbox (partly that ih8regs patch).

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 7, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm always using CVS, though my build might be 2 weeks old currently. Since I use gcc's profile-guided optimization, ih8regs' patch won't probably do much for me. I don't like it either. This is what gcc says about optimizing branches by hand:

In general, you should prefer to use actual profile feedback for this (`-fprofile-arcs'), as programmers are notoriously bad at predicting how their programs actually perform.

Note that 80.000 cycles have not been the limit. Dosbox was still running at 100% real time at that point, I didn't take time to see how much further I could have gone - the only game I have that needs that much CPU power is unfortunately one that triggers dynamic core instability (Schleichfahrt). All others play very well with my usual 20.000-35.000 cycles (depending on program).

Oh, since I have time, I will go out now and do some benching, including latest CVS.

Reply 7 of 7, by Oberth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can't tell you exactly what version im using the .exe is dated 25/01/2005 so I may try compiling a more upto date version in the next week and see how it goes.