VOGONS

First post, by wilco0087

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have encounted a similar problem with several VGA Sierra games when I run them in DOS Box. When I run King's Quest V & VI, Laura Bow II, Quest for Glory IV and Space Quest IV there are no voices. The mouths move but no sound comes out.

I searched the boards and found no (working) remedies to these problems. There was a solution for KQ5 that I stumpled across, but it didn't work. Instead of reviving such an old post, I just assumed post a new one.

Has anyone else run into this problem? If so, how did you overcome it?

Reply 1 of 10, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is the Cd inserted? Did you mount the CDROM before playing (mount D: D:\ -t cdrom) ? Are these rip versions (downloaded from the net?) Did you run the install to set the speech/audio to "Sound Blaster" (without compatible on the end of the description?)

Reply 2 of 10, by wilco0087

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

- The CD is in the drive.
- They are legit versions from their respective Sierra collections.
- Installed w/ "Sound Blaster" option.
- KQ5, KQ6 & LB2 voices don't work with CD-drive mounted (Unless I'm doing that wrong). Haven't tried the others yet.

Reply 4 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know if this is related or not but here you got a page posted by Mephisto with PATCHES FOR SIERRA SCI ADVENTURES

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 6 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Then, maybe he will need to get an upgraded copy of AUDBLAST.DRV. I remember to have seen it in Sierra's website.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 8 of 10, by Magamo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My experience has also shown, if you do not wish to jump through the hoops of upgrading the AUDBLAST.DRV... To choose 'Thunderboard' in the sound setup of the installation. That works just fine with DosBox.

Reply 10 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Keep in mind, though, that that updated driver can cause problems in some games. It can cause infinitely looping sound in longbow and a lock up at the healer's hut in QfG1 VGA.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers