VOGONS

First post, by Arkay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all...first time posting here...I gotta admit I've been playing nothing other than my classic sierra adventure games the past week or two using dosbox, and I've been in nostalgia-bliss...

KQ5, SQ4, SQ5, and SQ6 are all working brilliantly for me, but I am having issues with SQ3, which is weird to me since its LESS advanced than all those other games. Anyways, my problem is that regardless of any of my settings (except for when I set the game to MT-32 audio), when I play fullscreen the game is slower. In fact, even in MT-32 audio, it seems more sluggish, with text not writing as fast as I type and whatnot.

With sb or sb/adlib selected, its even worse, with stuttering. Now, my computer is pretty good (P4 2.53, 1gig memory, AIW 9800 Pro, etc) and more advanced games don't have issues. Windowed, SQ3 plays perfectly fine, but I don't have anywhere near as much fun playing fullscreen.

Is this some dosbox bug I don't know about or am I doing something wrong? I have tried all sorts of cycles, ranging from 1000 to 15000, and I reckon I shouldnt have to go so high with so simple a game.

I would VERY much appreciate help and feedback...after the SQ and KQ series I'll be playing the best adventure series ever made, Gabriel Knight.

Thanks in advance...its such an amazing feeling to be able to play games I grew up on (and whats more, it seems that most games with timing puzzles that were way too fast outside of dosbox seem to actually run the way they were meant to...yay for that).

Cheers.

Reply 3 of 4, by Arkay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, figured it out. Its my bad too. I should have realized the only setting that was different between window and fullscreen was doublebuffering...curiously, in SQ6, a much more graphically advanced game, the double buffering didnt adversely affect the game at all, but in the older ones, it did.

With it off, they now play nice and smooth. Thanks to...me, I guess 😁