VOGONS

Blood

Topic actions

First post, by kevingpo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone run Blood under DOSBox fast? Is DOSBox powerful enough to run a game like Blood?

Reply 1 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Depends on what you consider fast.

Athlon XP 2800+
Runs at 20+ fps in 320X200, dynamic core, frameskip=0, no sound.

Considering that on the host you can get around 200+ fps in 1600x1200, then yeah I wouldn't consider DosBox fast. 😉

You could up the frameskip a bit and perhaps get a bit higher resolution but your better off running under Windows XP, or using IceCold's WinBlood port (Still beta).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 9, by kevingpo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I ran it under DOSBox, Blood was so so slow. It started playing the demo of Blood (a recorded demo). I can hear it, but couldn't see it. Am wondering whether I need to tweak DOSBox, such as whether you can specify the CPU to emulate, etc.

Reply 3 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Make sure your dosbox.conf has core=dynamic and make sure Blood is set to 320x200 in blood.cfg.

Reply 6 of 9, by Cody Richeson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
Depends on what you consider fast. […]
Show full quote

Depends on what you consider fast.

Athlon XP 2800+
Runs at 20+ fps in 320X200, dynamic core, frameskip=0, no sound.

Considering that on the host you can get around 200+ fps in 1600x1200, then yeah I wouldn't consider DosBox fast. 😉

You could up the frameskip a bit and perhaps get a bit higher resolution but your better off running under Windows XP, or using IceCold's WinBlood port (Still beta).

How do you run it in the host? I tried but it didn't work at all.

Reply 9 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried looking for it last week but the forum/site disappeared. Odd because it looked like work was progressing on it...they probably just moved but now even a simple google search can't find any valid links.