VOGONS

First post, by discostu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently found my dark forces cd lying around the house so I decided I wanted to play it again. I tried to get it running on my laptop using the mount d:\ -t cdrom thing in the guide or whatever but I can't get it to run no matter what I do

has anyone on this forum gotten their cdrom copy of dark forces to work in dosbox who can help me make mine work?

Reply 2 of 5, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had some trouble getting Dark Forces to install. What I did was:
-copy over the dark directory onto the hard drive plus the install.exe from the base directory of the cd-rom
-set the attributes so that the files are no longer read-only (may only be Linux specific and not a problem with Windows)
-run the install.exe to set up the sound card (I found the SB16 to work best for me)
-run the game

Oh and the mount config should have 2 paths-one where it will point to and one where it actually is. Something like
mount d -t cdrom d:
(Though some other options may be necessary for Windows. You should probably check in the README if it doesn't work for you)

Also you might want to try setting the core in the dosbox.conf to dynamic instead of normal to speed it up. Though some games have stability troubles with dynamic.

Reply 3 of 5, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dougdahl wrote:

Oh and the mount config should have 2 paths-one where it will point to and one where it actually is. Something likemount d -t cdrom d:

Doesn't seem good to me.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try installing it thru native Windows instead of DOSBOX and just move the install folder to your DOSBOX folder afterwards.

If you do a full install, there's no need for the CD anymore. Here's a guide on how to get it to run without the CD at all.
http://www.df-21.net/articles/install.html

BTW, ideally you could get DF running in Windows natively with VDMSound. Getting DF to run well in DOSBOX requires a LOT of CPU power. My Athlon64 3000+ struggles to keep it smooth, and it is choppy somtimes.