VOGONS

First post, by Prince Zordar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just installed DOSBox .63 and set up a config file for MC2. The game seems to run smoothly when I crank the CPU Cycles up to about 30,000 (any higher than that and the sound stutters.) I was able to hit R to switch it to high resolution mode as well.

The first level played through fine (although it seemed a lot darker than I remember.) The second level started as far as the guy giving me my objective, but when I started moving the game exited to Windows. No error message, and DOSBox closed as well. I saw a thread in one of the forums about Magic Carpet 1 having some sort of issue with copy protection. Could this also be an issue in MC2? Was there ever a resolution to it?

I am running an Alienware PC, Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz with HT, GeForce 4 5900 FX video card, Audigy 2 for sound, and 1G of RAM. Windows XP Service Pack 2. I left all the audio settings for DOSBox as they were, and told the game to use Sound Blaster 16 for sound. I also changed the CPU setting to dynamic.

-Z

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you have a savegame then you should try it under Windows NTVDM.

You'll probably have to use NOLFB for VESA.

If it works under Windows NTVDM then we can pinpoint it to a DosBox problem.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by Prince Zordar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Running under Windows XP's CMD worked fine and was smooth as silk, just no sound.

Running with DOSBox and NOLFB worked fine and I was able to get to the third level. It was choppy and would pause for a second or two when an objective was reached.

Installed VDMSound 2.1.0 and am still trying to get it working. I had to disable Adlib to get it to start, but now MC2 is saying ERROR: NOT ENOUGH MEMORY FOR SOUNDS. Still tweaking...

-Z

Reply 3 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting,

DosBox

What res were you running Magic Carpet 2 in in DosBox?

0.63 has trouble with 800x600+ in games, 640x480 is the most compatible. I seem to remember MC2 only using 640? I'll have to doublecheck.

Anyways you may want to load Scitech Display Doctor 5.3 (Don't use the later versions). and see if that helps.

Windows XP

If you remove REDIR from autoexec.nt you should be able to get a few more KB of conventional.

You might also want to load up SapuCDEX, although not for more memory (Mscdex only takes up 0.5k), it is more compatible.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 4, by Prince Zordar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What res were you running Magic Carpet 2 in in DosBox?

0.63 has trouble with 800x600+ in games, 640x480 is the most compatible. I seem to remember MC2 only using 640? I'll have to doublecheck.

DOSBOX was using 1024x768 as its fullscreen setting, but I think the only modes on MC2 are 320x200 or VESA 640x480. Both work, but both are choppy and the sound stutters.

I'll try SciTech (I remember it well!) and the REDIR to see what happens.

EDIT: Scitech made it worse... it thought I had an S3 Trio, and blanked out the status bar at the top of the game screen. Removing redir didn't help with the memory issue.

Thanks for the tips!

-Z