VOGONS

Kiloblaster

Topic actions

First post, by Cyanence

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings, I am using a P4 3.1 GHZ, Soundblaster Audigy sound card, DOSbox 0.63, and D-Fend v2. I am trying to get the Kiloblaster setup program to detect a Soundblaster card for music. I have tried the default sound settings (sb16, IRQ 7, DMA 1, etc) which have worked on the vast majority of games I run with DOSbox. For some reason this game cannot detect the sound card, regardless of the settings. This same problem occurs in the second and third episodes of Jill (A game also by Epic Megagames). Any information would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Reply 1 of 4, by Cyanence

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found the problem, seems setting the cycles to 10000 fixed the problem. I had kept them on 20000 the whole. Not entirely sure how the cycles could affect soundcard detection but I guess they can.

Reply 2 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A lot of poorly designed games will try to detect the sound card by sending some data to it and then waiting for a response, and on faster computers (or emulators running at higher cycle counts) a game will sometimes give up waiting before the sound card gets around to sending data back. I remember that some Sierra games had that issue at one point, and that updated Sierra driver files were released to fix it.

Reply 3 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder if a function could be included in DosBox that would test all emulated sound cards. It would automatically cycle DosBox to determine the # of cycles required for sound card detection.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a good thought, but there are probably almost as many detection methods used by games as there are games out there... It would be interesting (and useful for multiple situations) for someone to write a program that tries to detect cards by multiple methods to see if some are failing and others not.