VOGONS

First post, by Nova224

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am new to DOSBox and I am having trouble getting sword of the samurai to work. i have looked at tutorials and such but every time i try to run the game dosbox just closes. do i have to install it first with the install files i have or what?

Reply 1 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How are you trying to run it? We need to know exactly what you're doing before we can do more than guess what you might be doing wrong.

If you are installing from floppies or CD-ROM, you should open DOSBox first and mount both your virtual C: drive and the drive containing the install files. Then, install the game from within DOSBox.

If the game is stored in a ZIP/RAR/etc. archive, unzip it into a subdirectory of whatever directory you usually mount as your virtual C: drive in DOSBox. Then, configure and run the game from within DOSBox.

Reply 2 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
  1. Create a directory for your game, e.g. "C:\DOSBox stuff\MyGame".
  2. Insert CD in drive.
  3. Start DOSBox.
  4. In DOSBox, mount up DOSBox's drive C: and D:

Z:>mount C "C:\DOSBox stuff\MyGame"
    Z:>mount D "D:\" -t cdrom -ioctl

(assuming that D:\ is your real CD/DVD drive)
  5. Install the game from D: to C:

Z:>D:
    D:>install

(or "setup", or whatever the command to start the installation is called. Check your Manual/Installation Guide for MyGame for the exact command to use)
  6. Configure sound, configure graphics, ...

(when you configure sound and are asked about stuff like IO/IRQ/DMA/High DMA addresses, please verify that you use the same values as listed in "%ProgramFiles%\DOSBox-0.63\dosbox.conf")
  7. Start game.

D:>C:
    C:>dir
    C:>mygame

(or "run", or "play" or whatever the command to start the game is called. Check your Manual/Installation Guide for MyGame for the exact command to use)

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 4, by Nova224

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i tried mounting both the C and D drive, and installing the game. but when i installed, it made a new directory in the C:\DOSBox\MyGame, but there's nothing in the folder. i've also tried running the game from the CD only, and when i try that that's when DOSBox just shuts down.

Reply 4 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Nova - did the install in step 5 complete without errors? What do the installation guide for "Sword of the Samurai " say about how to install it?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions