VOGONS

First post, by oatbranpuffs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've gotten System Shock to work on DOSBox 0.63, but it's really slow and choppy. This could be my computer, I have a slight overheating problem. But newer games aren't this choppy on my computer, so I think it's something else.

Reply 2 of 5, by oatbranpuffs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

system:
Dell Inspiron 8500
Pentium 4-M
1.18 GHz
256MB of RAM
64MB Nvidia GeForce4

...it's your basic laptop computer. Not like I built it or anything. I don't have DOSBox configured any differently than it is by default. I'm just running the batch file through DOSBox. Not much more I can say, I'm not a computer expert.

Reply 4 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You'll at least want to make sure that DOSBox is configured to use the dynamic core, and then run the cycles up as high as you can without maxing out your CPU usage.

Reply 5 of 5, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My experience with sshock showed: dynamic core is too unstable to run it reliably (but you just try it, perhaps it got better since I last tried it), and my Athlon64 3700+ is barely able (and I mean it) to play it in SVGA. VGA is OKish. I really doubt dosbox will run system shock on your PC. You will have to invest some time to do heavy tuning and hope that dynamic core works, then it might be possible.