VOGONS

First post, by Captain Zelnick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to get System Shock running on my retro handheld (2 analog sticks, d-pad, shoulder and trigger buttons) . Problem is there doesn't seem to be a controls option in DOSBox that has both a custom keyboard and a clickable mouse. Does anyone know of a usable control setup in that works for this game?

Reply 1 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's the eternal problem with the first System Shock. It's a 90s flight simulator of the human body (of the complex kind). The Enhanced Edition tries to bring some modern QOL to the controls and that isn't perfect either.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 5, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't help with the DOSBox side of it, but there is a great mod for the original System Shock that gives you (pretty much) standard FPS controls. The person who made it went on to help develop SS Enhanced.

- Download Malba Tahan's mouselook/key mapping/high resolution mod here: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=1719.0
- You'll need to grab both zips (XCDSHOCK + XCDSHOCK206 update)
- Drop XCYB.CFG, XCDSHOCK.EXE and XCDSHOCK.BAT into C:\SSHOCK or whatever your install folder is
- You also need to drop a copy of dos4gw.exe in. The mod changelog says it's no longer needed, but I needed it.
- You can edit bindings in XCYB.CFG, but the defaults are pretty good. (You may want to change mlook_vsens 40 to -40 to invert the mouse, and also change the mouse buttons so left click attacks instead of right).
- Run the game with XCDSHOCK

And with that you'll have a very FPS-like experience in the original System Shock on original hardware. Use E to toggle between mouselook and interact.

Reply 3 of 5, by Captain Zelnick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2022-02-09, 05:21:
I can't help with the DOSBox side of it, but there is a great mod for the original System Shock that gives you (pretty much) sta […]
Show full quote

I can't help with the DOSBox side of it, but there is a great mod for the original System Shock that gives you (pretty much) standard FPS controls. The person who made it went on to help develop SS Enhanced.

- Download Malba Tahan's mouselook/key mapping/high resolution mod here: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=1719.0
- You'll need to grab both zips (XCDSHOCK + XCDSHOCK206 update)
- Drop XCYB.CFG, XCDSHOCK.EXE and XCDSHOCK.BAT into C:\SSHOCK or whatever your install folder is
- You also need to drop a copy of dos4gw.exe in. The mod changelog says it's no longer needed, but I needed it.
- You can edit bindings in XCYB.CFG, but the defaults are pretty good. (You may want to change mlook_vsens 40 to -40 to invert the mouse, and also change the mouse buttons so left click attacks instead of right).
- Run the game with XCDSHOCK

And with that you'll have a very FPS-like experience in the original System Shock on original hardware. Use E to toggle between mouselook and interact.

Appreciate the help, but I'm not running the game with MnK, I'm trying to play it on a handheld. The controls need to be mapped to buttons/dpad/analog sticks in DOSBox. Suppose it might be worth a try to compile it after modding, but seems like a very long shot.

Reply 4 of 5, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah as stated I'm useless to you on the dosbox side, just posting for general info. But I did assume that your handheld would map analogue stick to mouse by default. Curious, what's the hardware?

Reply 5 of 5, by Captain Zelnick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2022-02-09, 06:31:

Yeah as stated I'm useless to you on the dosbox side, just posting for general info. But I did assume that your handheld would map analogue stick to mouse by default. Curious, what's the hardware?

Anbernic RG351P