VOGONS

First post, by mno

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I'm new to DOSBox, and found out about while reading an article and the forums over at Ars Technica (the interview with the creator of Scorched Earth). In any case, I've installed DOSBox 0.63 and D-Fend and tried running OMF2097. It runs, but horribly slow. I could tell immediately because the menu responsivness was horrible. I've tried playing around with the specs, and even turning off the sound, but no luck. It's interesting, actually, but the game ran at the same speed with the sound as it did without it.

My system specs are (taken from dxdiag):

Time of this report: 4/20/2005, 13:15:36
Machine name: LAPTOP
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
System Model: Inspiron 4100
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A03
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) III Mobile CPU 1000MHz
Memory: 640MB RAM
Page File: 367MB used, 621MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: None
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Full system specs from dxdiag can be found here:
http://max.nokhrin.com/random/DxDiag.txt

Reply 3 of 7, by mno

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, no, at 5000 it runs pretty badly. So far, I had good luck with 13750, but still not perfect. It begins to slow down when there's a lot of sounds (many consecutive hits) or when the round is over. Is it better to use Sound Blaster 16 or Sound Blaster Pro?

Reply 4 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the 13750 with frameskip 0 is something your laptop can not handle.
It's not fast enough.
hence my lower recommendations.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 7, by mno

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a quick update, I've set Scaling to none, Render to overlay, Cycles = 13000, CPU Core = dynamic and now OMF runs fairly well. I've also reduced sound to 11025 and the problems with sound went away. Also helps if you set your game speed to Game Speed to hyper within OMF.