err.JPG
    File size
    60.17 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    error
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by zzuni on 2005-04-21, 12:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 14, by D-Boy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am playing an old chinese dos game called Flame Dragon 2. It runs normal enough in window's dos emulation but the sound isn't emulated and stuff like VDM sound makes it choppy. I thought I found the ultimate solution with dos box but it never worked, then I found a linked older version on someone's website.

This is more a version problem than actually a game running problem. Seeing the newer version 0.62 and .63 seem to have better support and options i really wanted to try to use them.

My system:
DFI nforce 3 lanparty UF
AMD socket 754 3200+
DDR Ram, PC 3200 1024MB
Gainward 6800 nu
Audigy 2
Windows XP SP1
Flame Dragon 2
# Description of problem: Slowed emulation at different points of game.
# Reproducibility of problem:
# Sound mode used: Should be using SB16
# Video mode (Software, OpenGL, Direct3D, or Glide, and resolution)
# Version of emulator: only usable on 0.61, doesn't work with 0.62 or 0.63
# Steps already attempted to solve the problem: Increased allocated ram, and frames in the config file, tried full screen mode.

Originally I thought Dosbox would not work with FD2 but then the link on something's website let me try an older version of dosbox and it works. The game works fine in 0.61 except it is very slow on certain animations and enemy turn phase which made no sense to me... since the CPU obviously can handle it because it works with windows dos emulation, so I was trying to get it to work on 0.62 and 0.63.

In 0.61 it doesn't seem to be a speed issue as I can increase the framerate as much as I want and (after I end my turn) the enemies turn doesn't occur for ages. Seems to be a lag to do with something else.

However on 0.62 or 0.63 it seems to give an error, see attached image.

Attachments

• dosbox_000.png
    Filename
    dosbox_000.png
    File size
    6.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 14, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

*** MERGING RELATED TOPICS ***

*** Please use the SEARCH function before asking for help. This way, we will avoid having duplicated threads and will keep the forums clean and tidy. Thank you. ***

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 12 of 14, by D-Boy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found the solution... some reason this game will not start if you have the default CPU Cycles set to 3000... I have no idea why it does this. If you set it to 3000 after it will work fine. This game works best at about 8000 CPU cycles, reason why it looked like 0.61 worked with Flame Dragon 2 but not 0.62/0.63 is because the default Cycles in 0.61 is only 2500... It is really a weird error... to get professional error 2002, transfer stack overflow.

Anyways solved... Now i wonder if I should ask about the 3rd part of this game series "Flame Dragon Plus" in the same forum topic. Was wondering if anyone played this game or knows how to get the sound working.

btw THANKYOU DOSBOX, you have solved so much, including refraining me from using my old ISA soundblaster 16 which doesn't seem to work properly in Windows XP.

Reply 13 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

indeed very weird. I was thinking of changing the default amount of cpu cycles a bit higher for the next version. does the game work with cycles 3500 ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!