VOGONS

Mega-Lo Mania Musics (Missing)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Utafuinki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, all.

I noticed a locked thread about this problem, written in 2007 or so - I wanted to reply to that thread, but since it's locked, I can't.

I can't figure out how anyone has ever been able to make the music work in that game. I even watched two separate videos, and neither had any music (the other didn't even try).

I have tried pretty much -everything- I have read and could think of, and still, no music.

The 'try the german version'-trick doesn't work in DOSBox, because it just says 'AdLib Card Not Found.', and when I try it on my DOS PC (it's not a proper, older DOS PC, but works for me for most purposes - it has modern CPU and modern solution for the OPL3, no actual sound blaster) with real OPL3, the screen becomes black instead of that error, and the english version works, but doesn't give me any music.

I wish games were programmed better, so you could at least configure options - this game has no 'sound setup' whatsoever, so it's hard to try anything.

What I am asking, is .. has ANYONE had any luck on this, and if so, could they please post their DOSBox specs and how they acquired the game version and all that?

After hours of trying different setups, different 'sound blaster types', different game versions, different DOSBox versions (0.58, 0.65, 0.74 and the latest one), I just had to give up. I don't think it can be done, or it requires some very rare game version that only a handful of people have, and I sure can't find that version.

The reason why I am trying to get this to work, is so I could at least hear the music of the DOS-version, I have no idea what it's like.

The Amiga-version has very quirky and weird chord samples that Joseph Richard masterfully used, to create a very deep, atmospheric, almost 'cosmic'-feeling ambience or atmosphere, and I can't deconstruct that chord, it's just too weird (I think it 'wobbles' in weird ways and creates some 'discord' (out-of-tune) sound, that somehow works, and almost creates 'extra notes' that aren't really there - it's hard to explain).

I tried Super Famicom-version, and its musics are horrible, nothing as interesting as the Amiga version, and the less said about the Sega version, the better. I was just wondering whether the DOS-version might retain the old 'charm' of the Amiga musics, but maybe it would be easier to 'deconstruct' those chords.

It's kind of ridiculous that I can't even hear the musics anywhere - they're nowhere to be downloaded, they're not on youtube, there's no longplay video, and I can't get any version of the game to work on any DOSBox version with any configuration. I am out of options, here..

So if anyone could tell me either how to get it working (and provide links, files, configs, etc.), or at least tell me where I could find the DOS-version's musics, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Reply 2 of 2, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There is a demo version of the US release of the game without sound support that floats around on the net, and it is typically not correctly identified as a demo. If you search inside the main executable file (M.EXE) you can find "Demo Version 06/03/1992" text as conclusive evidence.

If you obtain a commercial version from eBay or the like, the game does have sound support that works fine in DOSBox. That said, you have now received all the help you will get from here on this subject. Thread closed. There is usually no help offered for problems caused by downloaded copies of games, but I'm explaining the situation in hopes of discouraging further reports of "missing" music in the game.