VOGONS

First post, by Tyro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, there is none. The game works fine and everything (at a frame skip of 2) and there is music, but I can't get sound FX to work. The install keeps trying to autodetect so I can manually set the IRQ and all. What should I do?

Habeatis Bonum Diem

Reply 1 of 16, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you tried using a different IRQ (E.g. 5) for soundblaster under DOSBox. You could also tinker with the several types of Soundblaster family of cards.

If I recall correctly, older SB cards (1.0, 2.0, Pro) used IRQ7 as factory default while newer ones (Pro2, SB16, SB16 ASP) used IRQ5 as factory default.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 16, by Tyro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, my brother figured that out a while back. But now with FX on the game runs slower, even with frame skip and increased cycles. Is that normal?

Habeatis Bonum Diem

Reply 3 of 16, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My Spanish floppy disks versions works fine here.

Soundblaster 16 configured with IRQ5 under DOSBox
Roland MT32 for music
10000 cycles using dynamic core
Frameskip of 1
11025Hz for sound samples

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 4 of 16, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, I had this game laying around and decided to play with getting it to work well in DOSBox, and here is what I found:
- Starting DOSBox with dynamic core and a high cycles count (I was using 25000, but it probably doesn't need that much) BEFORE starting the game seemed to help the slow-motion problem quite a bit. When I ran at 3000 cycles and then turned it up to 25000 after starting the game, it would stay in slow-motion
- I wasn't getting any sound. Setting the sound to something other than Sound Blaster and then setting it back caused the install utility to re-detect the Sound Blaster, after which it worked. I don't get any sound in the intro (just music), but I'm assuming this is normal (it's been too long since I played under pure DOS to remember).

Reply 6 of 16, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Tyro - reading this thread should help you:

Re: The hatred of DosBox

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 16, by Tyro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Err, MiniMax, im not sure why you gave me that link. Theres barely half a word about dynamic core in there. You could have saved yourself a lot of time by simply posing a RTFM on me. I thought that was a valied newbie question becuase I havn't seen any reference to dynamic core in what I read from the manual so far, only in the forums. But never mind; don't answer it. Im getting by without it quite fine.

Habeatis Bonum Diem

Reply 8 of 16, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just edit your dosbox.conf file inside DOSBox folder (use Notepad) and change the core=normal to core=dynamic.
Keep in mind that dynamic core may yield more speed but it's also somewhat unstable. If some game doesn't run, check core=normal first before posting saying it doesn't work.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 9 of 16, by Tyro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I never said it didn't work; I just said I had no sound and when I did it ran slow. Are you people LOOKING for a flame war or what? Oh, just forget it. I'll think twice before asking for help in future.

Habeatis Bonum Diem

Reply 10 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll think twice before asking for help in future

Always a good idea. I sometimes try to think 3 or 4 times before asking for help........In fact we may want to put that in the Readme...of course when we RTFM the person it would be kinda redundant.....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 16, by Tyro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, I ment asking YOU people for help. If you get over yourself for a moment and re-read this topic from the begining you'll see that this

If some game doesn't run, check core=normal first before posting saying it doesn't work.

was unwarranted.

I have looked at the documents, by the way, and you know what? I still don't know what dynamic core is.

Habeatis Bonum Diem

Reply 12 of 16, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php? … sbox.conf%2Fcpu

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 14 of 16, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tyro, I think you took what eL_PuSHeR said kind of the wrong way. He just meant if you do change it to make dosbox run faster, other games may not work. (though it's fairly stable as of the current version)

Reply 15 of 16, by Tyro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh... right.

Well, yeah, when you read it like THAT.

I really am terribly sorry. Its been a tough week, but there really is no excuse... I'll just go bang my head against the wall for a few moments.

Habeatis Bonum Diem