VOGONS

First post, by Zork

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I just found my old disc for "Rally Championship". I cannot remember the exact year it was released but I remember the graphics looked like something from the 1996 - 1998 era. So far, I've tried to get the install or actual Rally Championship program to work, but I've had no luck at all. So far, I've tried using VDMSound, Windows XP DOS, Windows XP Command Line, Windows XP Compatibility Mode and DOSBox but I've had no luck at all. Whenever I try to install or start it, it just brings me back to the Windows XP screen. Can anybody help me out? Thanks! 😀

"You have entered a dark place. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Reply 1 of 6, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depends on which game it is. Is it:

Network Q RAC Rally Championship by Europress from about 1997

Rally Championships from Flair/someone else

Rally Championship (aka Mobil 1) from Europress much newer

It sounds like the DOS Network Q RAC Rally Championship, which I have working on XP, so please confirm and I'll tell you what to do!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 2 of 6, by Zork

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

IceMan, I'm pretty sure it's "Network Q RAC Rally Championship" as it says that in the readme file on the CD. Although, my version seems to be the Windows one.

Reply 3 of 6, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Network Q RAC Rally Championship is only DOS but will work under WinXP. Here's how mine is set up...

The game does have an autorun which seems to work fine on my PC to install the game, but it is a DOS game regardless. The fact my Autorun works and yours doesn't is a bit worrying... however the game does use DOS high res 256 colours at about 640x400 screen res so maybe your graphics card doesn't like it?

On mine it installs then I simply use VDMSound on it with sapucedx in the "DOS Environment" AUTOEXEC.BAT Additional options window, i.e. window contains:

sapucdex

Most of the rest of the settings seem generic enough. The installer and game work fine in DOSBox although the game seems to hang on the start of a race on my old DOSBox 0.61

The fact your DOSBox won't run it is rather odd as if it's the high-res causing your graphics card grief then DOSBox removes that issue.

Try booting DOSBox with CD-ROM also mounted, then change to the CD-ROM drive and type install

As I said the game doesn't seem to work properly in DOSBox 0.61 but try newer ones if you like.

P.S. I have the updated X-Miles version add-on but that shouldn't make a difference to you running it in the first place.

Ice

Reply 4 of 6, by Zork

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, it seems that the INSTALL program worked under DOSBox, I selected the language, selected what install, but then it goes back to DOS while having the path as C:\RALLYC with nothing in it... Very strange.

Reply 5 of 6, by DocExplode

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After trying different configurations, I've finally found a solution for the problem described.
The Network Q RAC Rally Championship setup isn't compatible with the dynamic core mode, you have to use simple, or even normal one.