VOGONS

First post, by RoNsTaR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I got seriously problems to get this game running, I can start it, look the intro etc. the Demo in the backround plays, too, but when I try to load the first level it just crashes, I nearly tried everythin from DosBox to VDMsound over Soundfx2000, it crashes everytime, the Demo or the full Version no difference 🙁 Can someone help me? I'm running XP...

Reply 3 of 18, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, well I downloaded the game from HOTU and tried it in my version of DOSBox (a recent CVS build that I compiled myself, but with no special options). The game runs fine in the lower resolutions (high res like 640x480 works too, but is unplayably slow even at 30000 cycles with the dynamic core, regardless of renderer).

If the version of DOSBox you tried was 0.63 or newer, You might try to find a recent CVS build (search the DOSBox development forum or the DOSBox Wiki)

I've attached a screenshot just for the hell of it.

Attachments

• chasm.png
    Filename
    chasm.png
    File size
    45.89 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 18, by RoNsTaR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah just a moment 😀 I can see the intro and even the Demo plays in the backround but it crashes on the level-loading 😀 But I wonder how u could get it in DosBox running, this even quits me without a warning and the message:

To execute chasm, type chasm.exe

😖

Well u know whats bugging me on this game... I know that I allready played it on XP on my old machine and even there, after some driver update or something it crashed with exactly the same 'error'..., maybe there's a problem with SP², the Detonator Drivers or NTFS, I dunno 😒

Reply 5 of 18, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you're running it with DOSBox and it's crashing, then it's not likely to be a problem with anything outside of DOSBox...

I'd say try it with a recent CVS build, and if you still have problems then post your dosbox.conf file and I'll compare it with mine.

Reply 6 of 18, by RoNsTaR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

thanx m8, it works now, the CVS - Version did the trick 😊

How smooth did the game run on ur system, do u know some values to tweak it a little? Oh, I'm very happy now, hehehe 😀

EDIT:
I tried it with 50000 cycles, its running okay (and the sound choppy, but thats normal I read somewhere), but the mouselook ain't workin, some possibilty to get this workin? Well, I think its no drama anyway.

Reply 7 of 18, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was running on my Athlon XP 3200+ with the dynamic core at around 30000-40000 cycles before my CPU got maxed out (my rule of thumb is to use the Windows task manager to make sure my CPU usage doesn't go above 90%). The game ran quite playably in the 320x200 and 320x240 resolutions, but nothing higher.

I got mouselook working by hitting the "permanent mouselook" key (or whatever it was called) - see the control setup options in the game.

I'd never played this game before. It looks like a Quake knockoff that uses slightly above Doom-quality world rendering and real 3D models for all the in-game objects (monters, powerups, etc.). The apparent lack of in-game music is disappointing (probably also due to Quake's influence, as Quake only had music as CD Audio tracks that few people played with IIRC).

Reply 8 of 18, by RoNsTaR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yea it's a Quake-Ripoff and somethin about timetravel or so..., the interesting 'feature' is just the possibility to shoot off limbs, the enemies won't die then and continue attacking u 😉

http://www.action-forms.com/games/chasm/

The problem with the mouse is, that it always tries to assign the second mousebutton to standard moving buttons, on other games with DosBox i always have a cursor of (maybe) DosBox in the screen, the mouselook doesn't work...😒

Reply 9 of 18, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not quite sure what you're saying with the mouse, but you can hit ctrl+f10 to make DOSBox take control of the mouse cursor.

Also, you can map mouse buttons to actions in the controls menu for the game.

Reply 10 of 18, by RoNsTaR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not quite sure what you're saying with the mouse, but you can hit ctrl+f10 to make DOSBox take control of the mouse cursor.

I think thats what I needed, thank u 😀

Reply 11 of 18, by pospec4444

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys!

I've tried this game on my 3 GHz processor (512 MB RAM, integrated gfx card, Win XP). Everything runs nice and fast except one feature.

If you pickup an item (or something damages you), the screen goes green (or red) for a second. This is VERY slow, game lacks and my screen is slowly redrawn for at least 5 seconds. (Same problem is when screen goes black before loading a level)

I have red How to speed up DOSBox and tried changing output methods -- it is still slow.

I can't understand, why 3D processing runs perfect and in opposite such a trivial effect like flashing a color on screen is painfully slow.

Could anyone guess how to fix this, please? Thank you!

Reply 14 of 18, by wildweasel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Might you be running an ATI graphics card, by any chance? I've heard those seem to have speed issues when modifying palettes.

wwsig2-button1.pngwwsig2-center.pngwwsig2-button2.png

Reply 15 of 18, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wildweasel wrote:

Might you be running an ATI graphics card, by any chance? I've heard those seem to have speed issues when modifying palettes.

You have them switched; that's an nvidia problem, not ATI

but yeah, nvidia cards do suck at the 8-bit color, it'll be better if you use a output mode that requires 32-bit color like overlay or opengl, try those

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 16 of 18, by pospec4444

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried different output methods, it is still same slow story.
My PC is IBM ThinkCentre M50 (8189), gfx card Intel 865G (I can't discover which chipset do they really use).

Reply 18 of 18, by wildweasel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

You have them switched; that's an nvidia problem, not ATI

Then explain to me why none of my various Nvidia cards have had that issue?

wwsig2-button1.pngwwsig2-center.pngwwsig2-button2.png