VOGONS

First post, by vogon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!
I'm running win2000, and trying to run warcraft 2.

The sound configuration seems to work fine. However, when I run wc2 I get this error message:

Warcraft could not find a VESA video driver.
Type UVCONFIG from the command line before running War2.
You will only need to do this once. If you still have
problems, try loading the VESA driver provided with
your video card or contact your video card manufacturer
for a VESA driver.

I also tried using DOSBox which worked fine except for finding the cd (and so I couldn't really play single user mode). I mounted it using -label, -usecd, -ioctl flags.

Thanks

Reply 3 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The game may be configured to look for the CD on a different drive letter than you're mounting it to. You can try mounting to different drive letters (like whatever letter it uses in Windows when you installed the game), or mount the CD in DOSBox and then reinstall the game from the CD within DOSBox. It may also be in the config files for the game if you poke around, so there's 3 ideas for you to try 😉

Also, there are newer versions of DOSBox than 0.63, but they're not official. There's one updated frequently to use the latest work-in-progress source code for DOSBox, available here: http://cvscompile.aep-emu.de/dosbox.htm (I don't use it myself though, so your mileage may vary). I'd recommend trying this to see if it helps with the VESA issue.

Reply 5 of 5, by vogon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You are both right.

The evas problem was in win2k, so then I used DOSBox.

This morning I got the idea of naming the mounted drive with a different name, and it worked.

Thanks!! Wow, I haven't touched this game in years... 😀