VOGONS

First post, by Mr_Angry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First off great work on DOSBox, I had long since given up on playing Privateer on my current XP system (VPC and my sound card didn't get along well) and finding this has allowed me to go back and play this old favorite again.

That said while the game itself works fine after installing the speech add-on pack things are no different--where I should get sound in the movies I get nothing (in-flight speech and sound affects are still there). I've done some searching and there were some indications that Origin did sound differently via streaming sound that DOSBox didn't yet support but that was an old post so I'm not sure if the problem still exists.

Has anyone been able to get the speech add-on pack (either the separate install or the one included with RF) to work under DOSBox? My sound settings for the game are standard SoundBlaster (16 doesn't work, JEMM errors out) if that helps matters any.

Reply 1 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have any info specific to your problem, but you might want to try a CVS build to see if anying has been fixed since 0.63 that might help with your issues:
http://cvscompile.aep-emu.de/dosbox.htm (vanilla CVS, updated recently)
http://home.amis.net/lkslavi/dosbox.html#Download (experimental patches, a bit stale)

Reply 3 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

did you configure the sound correctly in the game ?
as The speech works for me (at least in the intro)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 8, by Mr_Angry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, in the intro the speech works fine--I'm referring to the cut scenes (such as when you walk into a bar and talk to someone) where with the add-on pack you are supposed to hear speech; that is what's not happening.

I simply copied the speech files over to the same directory I had Privateer installed, ran speech.exe, configured the game to use the same SB settings as Privateer and ran as normal but with no changes.

Reply 5 of 8, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Mr_Angry wrote:

I simply copied the speech files over to the same directory I had Privateer installed, ran speech.exe, configured the game to use the same SB settings as Privateer and ran as normal but with no changes.

I do not know the game, but I would expect there to be an installer... The game probably does not know about the speech pack... Just guessing...

Mirek

Reply 6 of 8, by Mr_Angry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mirekluza wrote:

I do not know the game, but I would expect there to be an installer... The game probably does not know about the speech pack... Just guessing...

Agreed, that's what speech.exe is, an installer that takes speech.pak and sets it up (as much as I can tell). When speech.exe is run you are given the same setup options as running install.exe for Privateer in terms of configuring sound card options and the install directory, all of which I kept the same as when I installed Privateer in the first place.

Reply 7 of 8, by Mirir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, in the intro the speech works fine--I'm referring to the cut scenes (such as when you walk into a bar and talk to someone) where with the add-on pack you are supposed to hear speech; that is what's not happening.

With the Speech Pack you only are supposed to hear the in-flight taunts and communications not the cut scenes, this is only possible with the Full-Talkie CD version.