VOGONS

First post, by radishes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ultima Underworld is my all-time favorite game, but I haven't played it in some time due to its incompatibility with modern operating systems. I'm trying it on DOSBox and I'm very excited, as it's working with music. However, when I go to full-screen mode, the screen flickers every half second or so, rendering the mode unplayable. The game plays very slowly in windowed mode.

Any ideas on the full-screen flicker?
Thanks,
Casey

Reply 1 of 4, by radishes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, my bad for posting so soon. I managed to fix the flicker by enabling double buffering and fixed-fullscreen in the config file. The game still runs very slowly in that mode though. I've tried reducing the resolution but it crashes below 640x480.

Any ideas on what I can do to increase the game speed in full-screen? It plays slightly better in windowed mode -- the music is more stable but the rendering and game speed are still too slow.

Thanks,
Casey

Reply 3 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Both Ultima Underworld 1 (The Stygian Abyss) and 2 (Labyrinth of Worlds) work fine for me using DOSBox under WinXP (AMD Sempron 3000+ = 2Ghz). I am using Dynamic Core, of course.
BTW - they also work using VDMSound if I recall correctly.

I am using Roland for music and SB for sound effects.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 4, by radishes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried changing the core to "dynamic", as well as "full." No help there. I've tried shutting off the music and sound in the game, but that doesn't help either. Thanks for the ideas.. I've left my core on "dynamic" so hopefully that will help if I can find out what else is the problem here. I have also tried several different output= settings.

I have several different copies of the game, both from the original CD which I own as well as abandonware versions I've downloaded. Perhaps I will get some different results by trying a different version.

This is my most favorite game ever! Thanks for helping... if anyone has any further ideas I'm definitely all ears.

For reference, I'm running an ASUS notebook with an Intel P4 2.0ghz with 1Gb ram. The graphics card is indeed a piece of shit, but hey, this is Ultima Underworld!

Thanks,
Casey