VOGONS

First post, by Joeyxp2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to play Tyrian 2000 on Win Xp with Dosbox. One problem is I can't get sound working so I can only hear music. I am at Savara V, Assassin which is the place with the blurring lava. My computer really lags in that level so it takes nearly forever to beat the level and finally the boss but I did it and beared the incredible slowdown. Then when I was at the intermission screen Dosbox just froze and it did it twice. I want to know how I can make Tyrian 2000 play faster. I tried increasing cpu cycles, getting rid of the layers, and reduced the sound quality, and tried increasing the frame-skip. The game is still ridiculously slow along with the music. I don't understand how I can make it faster. I know other people have the same problem as me and I have read other users' posts, tried everything they said but it's still laggy. That is why I am trying to get help here. All I'm going to say is that it was running fine when I had Win ME.

Reply 1 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well under Windows ME it didn't have to emulate anything (well...sorta), under DosBox everything is emulated which is why it's slow.

What are your system specs?
What ver of DosBox are you using?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 7, by Joeyxp2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use a Pentium 4 with 3 Ghz. I am using an Intel on-board graphics card. I am using the latest version of DosBox along with D-Fend v2 and I have not really configured the game but just clicked the default button. I am using Windows XP with Service Pack 2. I am guessing that my video card isn't really good because it's not a dedicated one.

Reply 3 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You have to lower detail levels, either in the setup program or in the game. Sadly, neitehr PEntium nor Wild work. If you know how to set it, then Laptop works ok. Best is low (as sad as it is)

Reply 4 of 7, by Joeyxp2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't want to do that because low detail looks ugly (fog and all other special effects are all gone) which makes Tyrian look like crap basically. Of course, I already tried that and it increases the game's speed immensely but I want to have all the nice looking effects while making the game run at a normal pace.

Reply 6 of 7, by Joeyxp2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When you have a shooter as old as Tyrian 2000 you would want great graphics. The reason is because graphics are like the atmosphere of the game. I mean who would want to play a level with just a dull brown background when you could have fog, blue skies, lava effects, and well you get the drill...