VOGONS

First post, by Shiryu_Kido

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A foolish question yeah, but no know which file is the linux version! T_T, the "Gentoo Linux" link in the downloads section is a link to gentoo homepage

Reply 5 of 7, by FingerSoup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Slackware isn't really designed for beginners. IIRC, Slack is text-based interface by default. You need to make sure that the XOrg X Server installed. You will also need to make sure you have all the required libraries used. This may be a lengthy list, but I have no idea, because I currently use SuSE for my Linux Distro.

The easiest way to get Slackware to run Dosbox might be either to take the time to get "apt-get" setup properly in Slackware, then use a Debian package, or use an RPM Converter for Slackware. Info on the RPM converter can be found at this link: http://www.slackware.com/config/packages.php Use the Fedora rpm, as SuSE usually has special config stuff required... apt-get will handle all dependencies, whereas rpm converted to tgz will leave you blind, until you attempt to run, or until something "extra-vital" causes the tgz to fail...

Of course if you chose Slackware because you are a huge techno-geek and want to learn Linux inside out (This is why I chose slackware as my first distro) then getting all required development libraries and packages required to install the source would be good. You'll quickly learn why all these other distros have package managers that download and install everything for you automatically...

Reply 6 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

there is a website which distributes tgz files which are slackware packages. dosbox is on the website

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!