VOGONS

First post, by Leddago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all. I'm new to DosBox, and I'm trying to run Tie Fighter. The game won't run and it gives me the message:
"Using 2000K of EMS will add more music and speech.
set FILES=30 in your config.sys"

But I can't find a place where FILES=30 would work inside dosbox.conf.

Any tips?
Thanks a lot.

Reply 2 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Regarding your post...

DOSBox should supply enough FILES handles for everyone. Some programs still complain though, so you could create a bogus CONFIG.SYS file at the root level of your mounted hard disk.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 9, by Leddago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried a bogus config.sys at the mounted drive with "files=50" on it but no luck.
I'm using DosBox 0.63.
And yes, my TIE folder doesn't have any subfolders. Any tips how should I get a good version?

Thanks for the tips so far.
Leddago.

Reply 7 of 9, by Duncan Idaho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd suggest Amazon.com, look for the newer 3D enhanced version of Tie Fighter, which works okay on Windows with much better graphics than the original game had. You can get it along with a 3D enhanced version of Xwing for around 20$, (It's called the Xwing collectors series, but look hard, as there is also a DOS version of Xwing called the same thing, look at the pictures on the products, you can tell which one has Tie Fighter by looking at the packaging), It's well worth the price! I just got the 3D enhanced Xwing from there for 10$ and am having a ball with it.

Reply 8 of 9, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 3D enhanced X-Wing&Tie Fighter are ok (I own both collector's DOS and enhanced win versions) with 1 big flaw - they changed that beautiful midi music with orchestral star wars cd audio, which is nice but it gets kinda boring when all star wars have pretty much the same music and midi was changing depending on the action in the game 😀

Reply 9 of 9, by Duncan Idaho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I didn't so much mind the changed music, though I found it makes the game a bit more challenging with the new music, as you get no fanfare when allies or enemies enter the battle anymore, which means you must keep your eyes open for the enemy coming. I found that a plus. Only downside I found about the 3D enhanced version is, for some reason, Lucasarts removed the screen after mission briefings where you can pick your wingmen for missions. Kind of a bummer, since I have like 40 or so top ace pilots I used to like to fly with.
Still, given the choice, I play the enhanced version, it does rock. Oddly, though I read all the PC games 'zines, Lucasarts must not have advertised this re-release of Xwing and Tie Fighter in '98, because until this past month, I had no clue they existed. That's why I thought I'd mention the game here, figured perhaps others like me didn't even know the 3D enhanced versions were out there. 😀