Road rash

Topic actions

First post, by slartibartfast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey guys this is first time trying dosbox... 😎
so i apologise straight away if im making a newbie error 😮

here my prob i recently picked up a copy of road rash for win 95.. hoping that i could get it to run on xp... (i only paid 2 quid for it )

couldnt get it to run on xp even using compatibility mode etc..

a m8 of mine suggested dosbox

i have tryed to run it using dosbox

i copied the disk onto a file called c:\roadrash (i thought it would be easier if all the data was on me hd)

after a few tries and readin the readme a couple of time i managed to get the folder mounted etc

but unfortunatley whenever i typed roadrash.exe it told me (i cant rem the exact words) that this application was not a dos prog...

any suggestions or should i just give it up as a loss?

thx a lot for all your help in advance
😁

I got an award for norway dont you know! '-)

Reply 1 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

road rash for win 95
that this application was not a dos prog...

There's your answer. Your copy is for Windows 95. Not for DOS. Therefore DOSbox will not help you.

What happens when you run the game directly from Windows?

/Waits paitently for 16-bit subsystem error......

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 6, by Duncan Idaho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, Roadrash is a Windows game, not a DOS game, DOS-BOX won't help you there.
However, I'm curious as to why Road Rash won't run for you. It runs fine for me under Windows XP, without compatibility mode, but I recall I have occasional problems with it's Midi support, which I ended up fixing by using software midi synth for my SB Live instead of using Soundfonts as usual.

Reply 4 of 6, by slartibartfast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well that clears up one prob... thx for your help

god i feel stoopid now 😖

when i try to run the autorun file in the directory menu it open the first screen (i.e. choose to install or quit) when i press install i get the message C:\WINDOWS/SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. the system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and microsoft windows applications. choose 'close' to terminate the application.

for what it is worth the same thing happens if i try to install superbike world championship

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

I got an award for norway dont you know! '-)

Reply 5 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It could be that your game's .EXE file is corrupted. It could also be that your c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt is corrupted and needs to be replaced with a copy from your c:\windows\repair folder.

Reply 6 of 6, by Duncan Idaho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's a tip: Look inside the Setup folder on the Road Rash CD, run the setup.exe that is in there instead of the Autorun.exe from the root. You may, (or may not), have to run the setup in Compatibility mode, I can't recall if I had to. Hope that helps, good luck!

HunterZ: I'm using the Microsoft GS Wavetable Software synth that comes with Windows XP for Road Rash, as it sounds far better than the Creative software synth that comes with the SB Live! card. You probably know this, but just in case, (and for others who don't know it), you can set that synth in the Sounds Speech and Audio section of Control Panel, just hit the Audio page, and change the Midi synth to whatever you want there. Just don't forget to set it back after, or other games will suffer poorer sound. 😉