VOGONS

First post, by Reejoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got MC running at a respectable speed but the games keeps quitting to dos at random times.

According to this thread: magic carpet toooooooo slow! the problem could be caused by a form of cd protection, which checks to see if you're running from the cd or not and quits if not. Since DOSbox treats a cd like a hard disk, I can't see a way around this.

Has anyone else got MC running without random crashes? I'm running Windows 2000 and DOSbox 0.63

Reply 1 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Please post details on how you have mounted the drives for MC in DOSBox.

(and by details, I mean the exact commands you used!)

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 6, by Reejoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed DOSbox 0.63 under Windows 2000 SP4.

I can run the game either from the hard disk or the CD, and the same problem occurs. This is what I type in to run the game:

mount d f:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl

d:

cd carpet

carpet.exe

The game successfully creates setup directories and loads. The sound works fine. The game was very slow even with max cycles (ctrl F12) but I replaced the DOS4GW file with DOS32A (a replacement DOS extender) and now it runs fine. This is not the cause of the problem because it was the same before I started using DOS32A.

However after a few minutes of play the game quits to dos prompt. Very frustrating since MC is my favourite classic game.

Reply 5 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Re: mounting

You could try adding a -label XXXXX, where XXXXX is the real volume label of the CD.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions