VOGONS

First post, by Shoal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure whether this is my fault or DOSBox's, but for some reason no pilots I create in TIE Fighter are saved. When I leave the game, they're all erased. Wha-huh? Is that some kind of setting in DOSBox that I need to shut off?

I'm running verson 0.63, and the non-corrupt (has subfolders) original disk version of TIE Fighter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert Aronson (Shoal)

Reply 1 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

weird. Could you post your autoexec section (or which commands you type to play the game ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 10, by Shoal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, for some reason late last night my pilots came back without warning. Very, very weird.

But now I have a new problem: is it possible to stop the sound and midi from "popping" even with the cycles set way up? The game runs a little choppy at 13500 cycles, but anything higher than that causes the sound and midi to skip and pop.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Robert Aronson (Shoal)

Reply 4 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Make sure you're using the dynamic core. You can try giving DOSBox a higher priority or increasing the size of the sound buffers it uses. You could also try backing off the cycles a bit if CPU usage is causing the pops.

All of those settings are in dosbox.conf.

Reply 5 of 10, by Shoal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The dynamic core actually makes it worse. Also, I tried increasing the sound's block size, but that just lagged the sound effects.

And, interestingly, under the dynamic core the game runs slower the higher I set the cycles.

In the end, I think I've found a happy medium with 13750 cycles, frame skip 2, normal core.

However, bad news: the pilot issue is back. I think changing the profile in D-Fend erases my pilots for some reason! I shall have to experiment more.

Thanks,

Robert Aronson (Shoal)

Reply 6 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you're at the point where increasing cycles slows things down, then it means that your CPU is maxed out. You should open the task manager (ctrl+alt+delete in Windows) and watch either the CPU usage meter on the Performance, or (better yet) the DOSBox CPU usage on the Processes tab. If it's above 90% (or so) on average then you need to turn down the cycles; anything lower, turn them up until it averages 90%.

Reply 7 of 10, by Shoal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This still doesn't help me with the freaking pilot issue. It's really beginning to piss me off. My pilot, ROB.TFR, is right there in the folder, but I can't load him in the game!

Sorry to be so angry, but I really, really, really, really want to play this game, as I haven't in about 10 years.

Thanks,

Robert Aronson (Shoal)

Reply 10 of 10, by Shoal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think the problem may lie in a corrupt/cracked copy of TIE Fighter. This particular copy I downloaded using p2p software, and the copy protection is removed.

Thinking this may be the problem, I have ordered a copy of the original in mint condition from eBay. I used to own the game ages ago, but my brother took it with him when he moved out. Bastard. He never appreciated, doesn't appreciate, and never could appreciate the TIE Fighter in all its glory.

Thanks,

Robert Aronson (Shoal)