VOGONS

First post, by Dos_Gamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there everyone! ! !

I'm new to the forums and just wanted to give a quick shout out to the makers of DOSBox. Thanks ever so much for writing this problem and re-opening the world of DOS gaming for me. It’s been a long while since I've played some of these games and its good to see them again.

Ok, to the point. I recently installed Space Quest 5 through DOSBox and everything seems to be running ok except I cannot get the narrations or voices to work. I remember the narrator’s smart remarks and not having to read text boxes made the game more enjoyable. I have searched the forums and found one solution that was similar to mine except it didn't work. The post said to make sure "audio= " in the RESOURCE.CFG file pointed to the file RESOURCE.AUD.

I have also tried several different combinations with the audio settings in the installation program with no luck.

Has anyone been able to get the narration to work in SQ5?

Reply 4 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think they didn't put as much work into SQ5. They probably only made the game due to a combination of fan demand and Sprint wanting to plaster their logo all over a Sierra game (IIRC).

I think I only beat SQ5 once, and I never beat SQ6 (it felt too different from the rest of the games, so I couldn't stay interested long enough to finish it). I beat 1-4 numerous times. I think SQ4 (floppy VGA version) was one of the first Sierra adventure games I owned (I got Thexder several years earlier, followed by Firehawk around the same time as SQ4).

Reply 7 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Space Quest 5 was developed by Dynsmix, when Mark Crowe went to that company. I believe that a multimedia upgrade for SQ5 had been intended, but this plan was abandoned.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers