VOGONS

First post, by jdarren

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've a custom-developed application built in 1992 and running on a 386/25MHz box under MS-DOS 3.10. It runs a CH-47 Chinook maintenance simulator for the Army. The software was built to run at the speed of the machine with no internal timing. Faster machines make the software behave very squirrelly. Since the hardware is dying and 386/25MHz board and chip sets are nearly impossible to come by, I need to do something with the software. DOSBox looks awesome because I need to read/write through a serial port, control a MIDI synthesizer (custom programmed to sound like a helicopter) through an MPU-401 UART, and process at 25MHz. DOSBox will apparently do all these things.

So I've downloaded & installed DOSBox, put my executable and associated files in c:\hmt, run DOSBox, mounted c:\hmt, changed to c:, and given it a whirl. The immediate output is always an "Insufficient memory" error. The computer host has only 8MB RAM and I've tried setting DOSBox at 4, 8, 16, 32 & 64 with no change. The app was built using the Phar Lap extender (I searched the executable file for that very text string and found it) and I've read several posts about that. As far as I can tell, DOSBox can handle that, right?

I'd hoped to get a bit farther into testing before hitting a brick wall, but I'm afraid I don't know what else to try except ask for ideas from those more experienced with the tool.

Any help will be great appreciated!

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm, such an old application probably doesn't like the 630k of free conventional. Try running "Loadfix" before running your application. "Loadfix" eats up conventional memory for DOS applications that can't handle those amounts.

As for 386 availability. My grandma has a 386 she doesn't use anymore since she upgraded to an emachines.....but you can't have it because IT'S MINE! 😁

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 3, by jdarren

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DosFreak, thank for the idea. I tried that and it had no effect. What I found interesting was that I used the default 64k loadfix repeatedly to reduce the available conventional memory until it was less than the size of the executable file. The error then changed to a slightly more informative "? Insufficient memory to load progrm." message. At least that I can understand.

Reply 3 of 3, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting. You may also want to try throwing the following combinations of settings into the mix:
ems=true, xms=true
ems=true, xms=false
ems=false, xms=true
ems=false, xms=false