VOGONS

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got my hands on the Quest for Glory Anthology, and what a mess!

First, the installer uses some broken utility called WHAT.EXE that doesn't work properly under Windows (doesn't return a response, probably Windows isn't letting it change the environment variables) OR DOSBox (seems to consistently freeze when waiting for a response sometimes). I was able to circumvent this by manually copying the game directories onto my hard drive.

Second, I found Gravis Ultrasound drivers on the CD and decided to try testing them with DOSBox's GUS emulation (which already works well for other games like TES: Arena). Unfortunately, even though the custom patch loader utility reports success, the music (after the Sierra logo screen) sounds very messed up. I guess it's trying to do things to the virtual GUS that DOSBox doesn't support, although I don't remember DOSBox logging any error messages to its console window.

On a related note, does anyone know where I can get an "MT32+SoundBlaster" driver for QFG1 EGA, QFG2, and Space Quest 3? I'm pretty sure one exists somewhere... It sucks having to choose between superior music and superior sound effects.

Reply 1 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just install each game from its own folder, don't use the collection's installer.

They are two seperate drivers. One for digital audio (AUDBLAST.DRV for QfG1 EGA, SNDBLAST.DRV for QfG2 , and no digital audio for SQ3) and for the MT-32 (MT32.DRV).

Also don't forget to apply NewRisingSun's patches.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried installing one of the games from its own directory and it seemed broken too. I got them working my way though, which was pretty easy to do.

As far as I know, you can't specify separate drivers for music and sound in that generation of Sierra games. If you can, please tell me how.

Also, I've never heard of these other patches...

EDIT: http://www.geocities.com/belzorash/

Reply 4 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

...Except that some of those *do* have digital audio. Two examples:
- Lots of digitized sounds in QFG2 if you're using Sound Blaster mode. For example, the genie laughing in the intro
- Roger Wilco saying "where am I?" in the beginning of Space Quest 3 if you snag the driver from QFG2

It's possible for a driver to exist that uses MT-32 for music and SB for sound, but that doesn't mean one exists. I know they did it for early VGA SCI games like Space Quest 4 (later SCI games like QFG3 finally had totally separate drivers for each)

If I was a bit more of a hacker and had more time on my hands, I'd disassemble Sierra's sound drivers and make a hybrid driver of my own. Instead, I'll just live with it for a couple more years until someone gets around to making an updated SCI equivalent of SCUMMVM.