VOGONS

First post, by Shoal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all. I have the Wing Commander II Deluxe CD-ROM Edition here, but I can't install it. I get to the point where it asks me what drive I want to install from (not to), and then it says "Copying files, please wait..." and does nothing. It just freezes.

This happens in both DOSBox 0.63 and VDMSound 2.0.4.

Any suggestions would be mighty useful.

Thanks,

Robert Aronson

Reply 2 of 7, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's wierd. I too have the Wing Commander II Deluxe CD-ROM Edition and can install/run it in DOSBox 0.63 without any problems.

I also make an ISO and use IMGMOUNT to mount my DOS CDs, though. May or may not have something to do with it.

1. Mount the HD as C and CD as D
2. Go into D:\
3. Run WINSTALL.BAT from D:\
4. Choose C
5. Choose sound settings
6. Play the game by running WC2 from D:\

Reply 3 of 7, by Shoal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It could be a typo - did you try telling it the destination instead?

Yes. No luck.

1. Mount the HD as C and CD as D 2. Go into D:\ 3. Run WINSTALL.BAT from D:\ 4. Choose C 5. Choose sound settings 6. Play the ga […]
Show full quote

1. Mount the HD as C and CD as D
2. Go into D:\
3. Run WINSTALL.BAT from D:\
4. Choose C
5. Choose sound settings
6. Play the game by running WC2 from D:\

Doesn't work. I can't get past choosing the sound settings -- it wants to install the game right after that, and it freezes when it tries. When I press Escape while the game is "copying files," it asks me to insert the original Wing Commander II CD-ROM. It is the original Wing Commander II CD in the drive.

EDIT: I tried using a virtual CD drive and an ISO created by Alcohol 120%. Didn't work. Same stuff.

Thanks,

Robert Aronson (Shoal)

Reply 5 of 7, by Shoal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I've mounted the ISO image to "drive" E, but now I can't find the game and setup EXEs for the D-Fend frontloader to use! D-Fend can't open an ISO to look for executables. How am I supposed to run the executables from the ISO without being able to find them?

Thanks,

Robert Aronson (Shoal)

Reply 6 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wouldn't know, since I don't use D-Fend (I just do everything manually using the DOSBox prompt and by editing my dosbox.conf). You could use ISOBuster to see what's inside.

Reply 7 of 7, by Shoal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, I mean... I know what's in the ISO -- I made it, after all. I ripped it from the original CD in order to mount it to a virtual drive because that's what you guys suggested.

Problem is I have to install the game before I use a virtual drive, and installing the game is the issue.

Thanks,

Robert Aronson (Shoal)