VOGONS

First post, by zymomonas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have a lot of fun using DOSBOX in the last weeks. Most of my old games are working well without any special adjustments. But with some it is more difficult.

A special problem seems tobe ultima7 (part2 serpent isle). Although I have disabled EMS and the status shows "you have >7000 KBytes xms" after typing in "mem" serpent isle does not run and displays a message "serpent isle requires 1024000 bytes of extended memory. You only have 0 available". It's kidding me!

Interestingly, ultima7 (part 1) runs well with these parameters.

My old autoexec.bat that I adjusted for ultima7 included no mem commands at all. I simply did not start emm386.exe. But that's not possible in DOSBOX.

I also know about Exult but I want to get the system running under DOSBOX.

What can I do? 😕

Reply 4 of 15, by zymomonas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Of course then I only had 635 kB RAM and serpent isle crashed completely (a flow of error messages came down on me and I had to kill dosbox).

The interesting thing is that when I start serpent isle in the first place, I only receive another but changed dos prompt. The C:> seems much lager than normal. At the second try I receive the strange message that I don't have XMS (although mem tells me that I have). If I type in "mem" (instead of serpent) I only get 635 kB of RAM. XMS seems tobe gone. Maybe the program crashes at the first attempt to start it and the XMS support crashes, too?

Reply 5 of 15, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One solution for Serpent Isle, make sure all the files (including subdirectories) are not write-protected. Files will be write-protected if you copy them directly from a CD.

Reply 6 of 15, by zymomonas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, this is important. I saw this recently as I started Ultima Underworld. It ran well until I talked to an NPC in the game. Then the first write-attempt of the system revealed that I still had write protection on all files. The game quit wiith an error code. But that's not true with my copy of Serpent Isle. I copied it directly from my old PC onto the new (thereby avoiding installation). Maybe I should try to install serpent isle from my original CD into DOSBOX...

Reply 12 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Both Ultima 7s work fine in Dosbox, at least for me and some others. I just tried with somewhat current CVS and the 0.63 release for Windows.
Maybe something is badly configured.
Run the install program and set it to not use sound and then try again. If it then works, run the installer again and set it to use sound blaster (IRQ 7).

Reply 13 of 15, by zymomonas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally, I got it running. During installation I received a lot of error messages stating that DOSBOX was unable to create subdirectories, where SI stores the static data and savegames. So I simply copied the program files from my old computer and created the directories manually - and it ran! Afterwards I installed sound and everything works.
Thanks for your support!

Reply 14 of 15, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Nice to hear that you solved it. Most of the people using DOSBOX probably do not have originalls so they do not have these problems ... Maybe you could send more details (log) about the problem - it is strange that DOSBOX could not create the directories...

Mirek

Reply 15 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If you are running Windows I do not advice installing it from within Dosbox. I once tried to install the floppy version and it did work, but it is quite cumbersome and you need to setup floppy support correctly -> pain in..