Delta V CD with sound

Topic actions

First post, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

I've been trying to get the CD version of Delta V to work under DOSBox. Even though the games list say Delta V is fully supported, I can't get it to work properly with sound enabled.

• - If I disable digitised sound, it works fine.
    - When choosing Sound Blaster/Compatible or Sound Blaster Pro/16, the game loading screen shows up and dumps me back to DOS saying "Error <9874>".
    - I tried the Gravis UltraSound mode, but that needs ULTRAMID.EXE to be loaded, which then takes up about 50K of memory and doesn't leave the 600K (614,400 bytes, not 600,000) Delta V requires to run. (Impossible to load it high, since DOSBox doesn't support UMBs, AFAIK).

Some remarks:

• - The music setting has no influence on all this.
    - I have tried copying the Miles Audio Drivers from other games to no effect.
    - It gives me the 9874 error code when I run through raw WinXP.
    - Also gives me error 9874 when running through VDMSound (whew -- difficult to get VDMSound running and have 616400 bytes free -- woohoo 2000 bytes to spare).
    - I've installed the Delta V CD patch, to no effect (it is only meant to fix levels 6 and 9 anyway).

Has anybody managed to run this game in DOSBox?

Reply 1 of 22, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought DOSBox always reports the same amount of conventional memory free no matter how many TSRs you have loaded?

Have you tried changing the IRQ of the emulated SoundBlaster?

Have you tried searching Google and the forums for this error message?

Reply 2 of 22, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you could try to change the emulated soundblaster in dosbox.conf
the sb16 emulation isn't as far evolved as the soundlbaster pro emulation.
(well not a correct term)

Hunterz: dosbox accounts for TSRs. It's just that in general dosbox doesn't a need for loading tsr as it's quite complete.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 22, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've tried sb1,sb2,sbpro1,sbpro2 and sb16 for the type and IRQs 5 and 7. All give the same result. What's weird is that other games using the Miles sound drivers work perfectly.

I've e-mailed Bethesda Softworks' support department but, to be honest, I don't really expect much help from them.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 4 of 22, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, admittedly, Bethesda replied quickly, but is was as useless as expected. Just the standard drivel of making a bootdisk. I don't think they've even heard of DOSBox or VDMSound.

Last edited by Kippesoep on 2005-06-14, 17:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 22, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They've definitely heard of VDMSound, as they included it with hand-burned disks they were sending people on request a couple years ago to help get Daggerfall working under Win2K.

The reply you got was probably an automated response, and your email probably hasn't been read by a human.

Reply 6 of 22, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's a link to DOSBOX right on their Arena free download page I believe.

I remember eyeing DeltaV when it was a new release. I've never actually played it though. Is it any good?

Reply 7 of 22, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, I've sent them a reply. I hope this gets solved.

Delta V isn't a very good game. The graphics are rather good and it's nice for a quick blast, but it gets boring rather quickly (the programmers seemed to be more concerned with creating a technically impressive game rather than making on that's fun to play).

I've been testing loads of games, though (359 thus far), because I'm creating a DVD with all my old DOS games on them and a frontend I created myself (see screenshot below), which dynamically generates optimal DOSBox config files for each of them. Thus far, Delta V CD is the only game I haven't gotten to work properly, with the exception of some minor graphical glitches in KQ6CD and Thexder. Also, I had to patch Dynamix' Ghost Busters 2 to fix a bug in their digitised sound routine 😒

I'm also adding freeware re-releases, such as Beneath a Steel Sky, Arena, Betrayal at Krondor etc. as well as cheats and walkthroughs for each adventure game. It's for my own personal use, and can't give it away since I do actually own all these games, but a fun project nonetheless.

Attachments

• Filename
    myfrontend.png
    File size
    16.98 KiB
    Downloads
    133 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 22, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So much for Bethesda:
"Delta V is not supported in Windows XP, I gather you already know that. There is not much we can do to help you here. We sent the documentation we have and that is the limit of the support we can give for this title."

Oh well, didn't expect much anyway.

Reply 10 of 22, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep. I've already unpacked the EXE file. Time to get out my trusty debugger and see if I can find what's going on here. I've been doing that a lot lately, fixing bugs in old games. I suppose I should set up a patch archive.

Reply 11 of 22, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good grief!!! It's a copy-protection routine that misfires!!!

The program checks the modification timestamp for one of the files on the CD and gives this cryptic error message if there is a mismatch with what it expects (probably an invalid date stored on the CD). Patching out the copy protection makes the game work flawlessly.

Quite why this doesn't happen without sound enabled is anyone's guess. Why it happens on an original CD is even more mysterious!

Reply 12 of 22, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

which date does it compare it against ?
can you see something that might indicate a bug in dosbox ?

Reply 13 of 22, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The game checks for 16:31:46 on October 12th 1994.
Windows reports the file on CD to be 01:31:46 on October 13th 1994.

Since Windows gives the same timestamp as DOSBox, I think the actual value stored on the CD is deliberately faulty and that the ISO parser in the real MSCDEX (not WinXP's version of it) translated this incorrect value differently than the WinXP's implementation.

Reply 14 of 22, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm that is indeed weird. maybe our imgmount could "correct" for it. but it's very tricky material.

could it be a timezone problem (localtime can take in account the current timezone)

Reply 15 of 22, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good one about the timezone! Changing my timezone to PST does change the timestamp to what the game expects. That is very annoying (and impossible to correct for in some cases).

BTW, I'm not using imgmount, but mounting a directory, which is how I found this bug.

Reply 16 of 22, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well I wonder if we can correct for the timezone somehow as dos didn't have clue about it.

but somehow it feels like windows messing up. as why would somebody change the date on file if the timezone is different. it makes little sense to me.

Reply 17 of 22, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is because WinNT stores the timestamp in Zulu time. This helps in keeping things straight during the switch to/from DST. DOS and Win9x store timestamps in local time.

There's no way to correct for it, since it is impossible to tell under which system the timestamp was generated. Even if you did it for everything on CD, it wouldn't help in my case with a directory mounted as CD.

Reply 18 of 22, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well for dosgames it's reasonable to assume that the cdroms were made on a dos like system.

the timestamp on the cdrom is the correct one. and dosbox should just find a way to bypass windows it's intelligence.
Which might give some problems though for newly created files.

Anyway It's fairly simple to detect if we are on 9x or nt. so it might be possible to display times inside dosbox as localtime instead of zulu time.

but not sure. Been ages since I worked under that bugged os 😀

Reply 19 of 22, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On 9x, it's simple: don't do anything. Windows gives you what you want.
On NT, you'd have to compensate. IIRC, the CDROM ISO image contains a timezone identifier and timestamp stored in that timezone. NT adjusts from that timezone to Zulu and then on to your local timezone. In the case of DeltaV, the stored timezone was PST/GMT-8 and my timezone is GMT+1, so WinXP added 9 hours to the timestamp. DOSBox already gets the time in localtime (your localtime, not the localtime where the file was generated -- you'd have to extract that from the ISO image).

When I copied the file to the hard drive, WinXP converted this to Zulu time (adding 8 hours) and re-adjusts whenever it needs to display the time (so it still shows the same as on the CD). All terribly confusing.

Personally, I wouldn't bother including this in DOSBox.