VOGONS

First post, by delsydebothom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I have a WFW 3.11 install running in the 64-bit SDL1 DOSBox-X 2022.09.0 running in Windows 10. I've been using it to learn how to program 16-bit Windows, and it hasn't given me any trouble. Today, though, I tried to install a few extras, including Video for Windows. Any video played in Media Player now comes out green. The same problem is happening in Cinemania '95, which I also installed today. Interestingly, the Xing MPEG player plays videos just fine. The only thing I know for sure is affected are .avi movies. The emulated video card is the S3 Trio64 V+, and the video driver I have installed is Version 1.70.04, S3 Flat Model Windows Trio765 Driver, dated 09/22/97. Many thanks for any recommendations!

Reply 1 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there! Is the video showed with a green tint or is the window completely green (nothing visible, but green)?

Xing MPEG Player is nice, it does support DCI, among other things.
DCI was another display interface, exclusive to the Windows 3.1 platform.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 7, by delsydebothom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2022-11-06, 14:37:

Hi there! Is the video showed with a green tint or is the window completely green (nothing visible, but green)?

Hello! It is the former problem; the video itself has a green tint. I have discovered that every Microsoft Home product I have tried has the same problem. The window displays as it should, in glorious battleship grey. Also, Quicktime videos play correctly as well; nothing but VFW .avi files are problematic.

Reply 4 of 7, by delsydebothom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks! I just did so. I am genuinely curious as to what could be happening. I am about to start changing some things in the .conf file to see if I can resolve the issue. In case I fix the problem that way, here is what it looks like now. I don't guess I'll post an "after" screenshot if I get it working, because...well, it will just look like it supposed to!

Attachments

• krnl386_000.png
    Filename
    krnl386_000.png
    File size
    54.32 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 5 of 7, by delsydebothom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I got it working. I had to install a special modified version of VFW found here: http://edv-janssen.synology.me/elsa.de/downlo … aware/index.htm

It includes two extra files: UDH.DLL and DCIMAN.DLL

I am intrigued with the question of what this version is doing that makes the emulated S3 card happy.

Attachments

• krnl386_001.png
    Filename
    krnl386_001.png
    File size
    45.84 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 6 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

UDH is the universal draw handler. It comes with the S3 drivers, but VFW will need to be loaded before you install the S3 driver.
Another alternative is Media Player 5.2

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 7, by delsydebothom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The interesting thing is, I did try re-installing VFW from several different copies I found online, but only the one for ELSA cards actually ended up fixing the problem. What I didn't try, though, was removing the S3 drivers entirely from the system and reinstalling them with VFW installed. I wonder if that might have worked as per your suggestion. I am almost tempted to re-create the problem so I can try that and see.