VOGONS

First post, by dor123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know where to post, so I post this thread here:
I search in Google, and all of the result are either broken, obsolete or hard to do.
Can anyone have a driver of the Gravis Ultrasound?

DOSBox 0.74-3
D-Fend Reloaded 1.4.4
DOSBox Game Launcher v0.97
Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit version 22H2

Reply 1 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dor123 wrote on 2022-12-03, 16:21:

I don't know where to post, so I post this thread here:
I search in Google, and all of the result are either broken, obsolete or hard to do.
Can anyone have a driver of the Gravis Ultrasound?

http://vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=8&menustate=49,38

Reply 3 of 9, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dor123 wrote on 2022-12-03, 16:54:

I don't know what to choose.

I don't know, either... there's at least six GUS models, and you haven't stated which exactly you have.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 4 of 9, by dor123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I need a GUS driver for my DOSBox 0.74-3. The current files I have for the GUS, don't causes improvements in sound quality over SB.

DOSBox 0.74-3
D-Fend Reloaded 1.4.4

Reply 5 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dor123 wrote on 2022-12-03, 17:02:

I need a GUS driver for my DOSBox 0.74-3. The current files I have for the GUS, don't causes improvements in sound quality over SB.

Respectfully, since we don't know

a) what you currently have in DOSBox in terms of drivers
b) what game(s) or demos you are trying to use with sound
c) whether you are actually configuring said games for a Gravis Ultrasound (and whether any games detect one, if they have that capability)
d) what you are expecting in terms of improvements over an SB

it is hard to try to answer you effectively .

Reply 6 of 9, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I downloaded GUS drivers from here and installed them using this guide. I don't think I used any futher fixes or additional files. They work fine with DOSBox SVN builds and DOSBox ECE.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 7 of 9, by dor123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I already downloaded an updated GUS driver for DOS, but I don't remember from where I downloaded it. Looks like most of my games that I have that supports GUS, don't utilizing the higher sound and music quality of GUS versus Sound Blaster 16 card. The games include Pinball Dream, Pinball Fantasies, Pinball 4000, Epic Pinball, Silverball and Jazz Jackrabbit.

DOSBox 0.74-3
D-Fend Reloaded 1.4.4

Reply 8 of 9, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dor123 wrote on 2022-12-10, 14:41:

The games include Pinball Dream, Pinball Fantasies, Pinball 4000, Epic Pinball, Silverball and Jazz Jackrabbit.

All of these (except the earlier standalone version of Pinball Dreams) take advantage of the GUS's hardware mixer. The improvements in sound quality are more noticeable on a real GUS.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 9 of 9, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dor123 wrote on 2022-12-10, 14:41:

Jazz Jackrabbit

I'm pretty certain Jazz Jackrabbit does not even require the patches to be installed to use GUS in DOSBox (just set gus=true). I've also found the sound quality in this and some other games far better compared to DOSBox' SB emulation. Also there's at least one (Bref) that outright glitches when it uses SB in DOSBox.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games