VOGONS

First post, by Shoal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

A while back I posted a message about my TIE Fighter pilot disappearing. To combat this, I bought TIE Fighter off of eBay as I suspected the pilot issue was due to have a hacked copy of the game.

Well, the bought/unhacked game has come in, but the graphics in it barely function! Most of the time I get nothing but a black screen. Furthermore, I only get MIDI sound.

I don't get it. I used all the same settings as I did for the hacked copy -- it should work exactly the same! This doesn't make any sense...

Thanks,

Robert Aronson (Shoal)

Reply 1 of 7, by Duncan Idaho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You should go to Amazon.com and look up the 3D enhanced version of Tie Fighter for Win95, it's dirt cheap, (I paid just 12$ or so for mine, complete with the 3D enhanced Xwing as a bonus). Look for the Xwing Collectors Series, and be sure to pick the one that specifically says it includes Tie Fighter if this is something you're interested in.
It's well worth the cost, and gives you the same great gameplay you're used to, but with far better graphics. Just an opinion.

Reply 2 of 7, by Shoal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not only did I figure out how to fix the problem a while ago (thanks anyway :happy: ), but I have only one thing to say regarding the remake: terrible. Redbook audio is relies on the CD being in the drive, and worse, it isn't dynamic. Overall the remake isn't anywhere as immersive as the original... it's been a long while since I played it, so I can't come up with exact reasons, all I remember is that they changed far, far too much for my tastes.

I'd have been all for it if all they'd done is updated the graphics, but the static, redbook audio music and all the... something... changes, really, seriously turned me off.

Ah yes, I remember there is also the fact that the remake often mixes resolutions, often jumping from 320x200 to 640x480 and back again. This makes for a jarring experience.

No thank you, remake. I'll take the original anyday.

Thanks,

Robert Aronson (Shoal)

Reply 3 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the original jumped resolutions too if you ran the flight sim part at 640x480. I totally agree about the dynamic MIDI vs static Redook music though.

Reply 4 of 7, by Shoal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can play the flight part in 640x480? I never knew that! Where is the option (not that I can increase the cycles any further without having choppy sound and music)?

Thanks,

Robert Aronson (Shoal)

Reply 5 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's in the graphical config utility I think. Only works in the DOS version of TIE Fighter (possibly only the CD-ROM version), not X-Wing as far as I know.

Reply 7 of 7, by Duncan Idaho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Know what you mean about the music, I do sometimes miss the original music, but once I start playing, I don't notice it anymore. (Odd that, since I'm pretty fussy about stuff like that usually, but guess we're all different that way).
Anyway, glad you got it running either way, have some fun! And if you see an Xwing coming, wave, it may just be me. 😉