VOGONS

First post, by justin1985

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

New user here - I've been getting into retro and nostalgia computing mainly via YouTube. The thing driving my nostalgia is memories of the first PC I got as a kid, an IBM Aptiva tower Pentium 120Mhz, that came with a set of games and software which included Sierra's Caesar 2. That game totally absorbed me as a kid, and "plebs are needed!" still rings through my head every so often ...

I've found several different copies of the game as either zipped folders, or ISOs, and tried running them in both DOSBox and VirtualBox with Win98SE installed, and I've never managed to get the MIDI music working! It just isn't the same without the music - which you can hear in gameplay videos on YouTube like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpDjllLwRAU - this isn't the same as the intro music on the first few splash screens, and in-game announcements etc, which work just fine as wave audio.

There are old threads on this forum where people have asked about the music, and even asked if the CD actually had a CD-audio track for the music (which I guess means they couldn't get the music to work at all). But I can't seem to find any answers ...

I've tried tweaking the DOSBox conf file endlessly, including trying Ultrasound emulation etc, but no luck. I've mainly tried with a MacOS Ventura host, but also with an XP SP3 host.

I also tried running it natively (in compatibility mode) on XP (on the first Retro PC I've bought - a ThinkPad X60s - which I don't believe will work with earlier versions of Windows) but still no luck. I'm starting to wonder whether the game always looks for the music on a CD (presumably looking for a DOS CD driver?) and when you get prompted to choose "run from hard disk only", it doesn't even look for the files, even if they're there?

The only way I got the music at all was running the Win95 version from an ISO in VirtualBox with Win98SE installed - but the timing then seemed to be way out (year ending every few seconds) and no walkers appeared etc. The Windows version doesn't seem as good anyway!

Has anyone ever managed to get the music in Caesar 2 DOS version working on any kind of emulation (or more modern hardware?)

This has become a bit of a mission for me ... think the next step might be to track down an original CD on eBay ...

Thanks

Justin

Reply 1 of 1, by justin1985

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Inevitably ended up answering my own question...

I ended up finding another ISO of Caesar 2 (on Archive.org) that seems to be taken from a different release of the CD - dated 1997. This one seems to have both DOS and Win95 versions of the game, and passes the CD check in DOS when mounted in DOSBox - hey presto - music works!

The other ISOs of the game I'd found online were either taken from the 1998 release, with only the Win95 version of the game, or seemed to be images of only the DOS install ("HD") folder. Some of the ISOs with only the Win95 "setup" in the root did have the DOS files in the HD folder, but no DOS installer in the root. The one with working music in DOS had both a Windows "setup" exe, and a DOS "install" exe in the root folder.