VOGONS

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Both of these games run well on my PC except for one problem. The problem is that while everything else runs smoothly, when the Avatar moves from screen to screen there is always a slight pause when he crosses the length of a screen in any direction. As I am using the basic VGA emulation I suspect this may be something which calls for some type of graphics acceleration. Of course, it could just be that my processor, a PIII 800, can't run enough cycles to gve these games smooth scrolling.

Reply 2 of 5, by bunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd say try dosemu or qemu for any game that dosbox is too slow for in your case. Another advantage is greater compatibility because you have three choices for dos games. If setting qemu and doemu is too complicated for you than I'd say upgrade your computer or buy a cheap PC to use as a dos box.

For Ultima 7 you might also want to take a look at Exult.

Last edited by bunny on 2006-02-08, 18:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 5, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, the speed of my CPU is no longer an issue and the problem still occurs on the new machine. The pauses still exist even when I set the game to 15,000 cycles, but are shorter. (~5,000 cycles seems to be the proper speed.) Do the pauses exist on a contemporary, high speed 386, low speed 486 PC? They certainly don't on my old 800MHz PIII using the Win 9X patch.

I have no particular affinity for Exult anymore because DOSBox can play the games as they are supposed to be played (except for the above issue) and I have an MT-32 compatible sound module. The advanced features of Exult don't appeal to me.

Reply 4 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you have to set the dosbox cycles so high that your CPU is just at the edge of being overtaxed. Best run dosbox in a window and run the taskmanager as well to see the CPU load.

MT-32 and Exult: newer code of Exult supports both a real MT-32, a fake one 😀 and the MT-32 emulator.

Reply 5 of 5, by Zakule

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm dealing with the exact same issue and increasing the CPU cycles does not solve the problem:

Ultima 7 issue - pauses while moving, every few steps

5000 cycles does seem to be roughly the proper game speed.

I wonder if the devs have figured out a workaround for this.